Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DG934G Noise margin up and down!

This is a discussion on DG934G Noise margin up and down! within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi I recived my brand new boxed router from sky to replace my sagem wich sky said MAY be faulty ...

aibo82 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Mickelover
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

DG934G Noise margin up and down!

Hi

I recived my brand new boxed router from sky to replace my sagem wich sky said MAY be faulty but ive notice a srange issue with my statistics!

Wile the router connects at a faster speed my noise margin with go from 7db to 5db to 3db! and my line antenination is 56db

Yes on the sagem is 61db and my noise margin is 7.2db and maybe drops to 7db 6.9db on the odd occasion!

Is this a router bug? or a faulty router?

Its doing my head in im replacing cables modems and all sorts!

2. Advertisement
      ukhardy07 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: DG934G Noise margin up and down!

Mine does the exact same - to the point where my connection ends up disconnecting, on an evening when I sync I drop instantly from 7 db to 4 db and then eventually I lose sync and when it resyncs it's at a higher speed. Weird.

With the sagem I never fall below 6.6 db

But with the sagem, VPN doesn't work properly, UPNP isn't detected by all programs and the wifi has alot of issues. Including the wifi dropping out on all channels 1 - 13. & the Wifi seeming to hang so websites don't do anything for about 10 seconds and then they begin to load.

So I dunno which ones best.

Thinking of getting my own dual band N netgear

I have to admit the SNR on this netgear needs looking into! Issues with the router that this sky routers based on are back dated to 2006...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I recived my brand new boxed router from sky to replace my sagem wich sky said MAY be faulty
      There is nothing wrong with your routers. Some are more sensitive to noise changes on the line than others. What is wrong is that you are on ADSL2+, which does not suit your line. Call Sky and ask them to return your line to G.DMT and you should go back to near your original speed.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I disagree...

I have a line attentuation of 27 db and get nearly an 18 meg sync. Even when I had the upto 8meg package my snr fluctuated.

On the sagem router this does not occur.

The dg934g is based upon the DG834Gv3 which is well known for having an snr in the minus figures, and large fluctuations

Also the dg834g is based on the AR7 chipset which is well documented to have issues on noisy lines.

See forums such as Print Page - Very high noise margin drop in afternoon

Sky made a bad move using this router IMO, speedtouch routers are much better at holding onto sync or even broadcom based netgears.

Thanks

You are perfectly at liberty to do so
      Everyone knows that Sky did not choose their Ver 2 routers very wisely.

My point was that the OPs problem has nothing to do with the routers, he is on the wrong mode.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

But the netgear router gives the user better speeds.

And the user does not have a fluctuating snr with the sagem router

And the user has not mentioned disconnection issues with the sagem or the netgear. Just a fluctuating SNR which is a common bug with the netgear v2 router, as it's based on the AR7 chipset where the fluctuating snr is yet to be solved. Various firmwares have attempted to resolve the issue but some say it has made it worse....

From the users end there's nothing wrong with the modulation, plus it's unlikely sky have put the user on ADSL 2+ anyway due to the line length.

Thus the users on the right mode if you ask me, the users only issue is a fluctuating noise margin which is a router bug. If he / she was having loads of disconnections on both routers and a fluctuating snr on both routers then I would agree that they need to change to the mode you suggested. As this is not the case I simply put it down to the ar7 chipset which is beyond the users control.

Why do you think the sagem routers faulty anyway?

Thanks

plus it's unlikely sky have put the user on ADSL 2+ anyway due to the line length.
      I think you need to have a look through some of the posts. Sky have put users with an attenuation of 63.5 (which means it is actually higher) on ADSL2+ with disastrous effects.

Why do you think the sagem routers faulty anyway?
      I don't think I said anything about them being faulty.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ukhardy07 View Post
      Even when I had the upto 8meg package my snr fluctuated.

On the sagem router this does not occur
      How do you know? it may just be that the Sagem is not registering and showing it, it is not the router that causes the noise, it just give it a value, maybe the Netgear has a more sophisticated way of measuring it.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The DG834Gv1,2 and 3 all have the fluctuating snr issue. As the dg934g is the dg834gv3 it has the issue also...

See ISP blows the whistle on router chip 'fault' ? The Register

and thinkbroadband :: DSL modem chipset issue comes to the fore

It is a well documented issue with the AR7 chipset. It's not more sophisticated, it causes instability and drops sync more often than any other chipset.

The TI AR7 TNETD7200ZDW chipset is thought to be one of the worst affected which is the exact one used in this sky router.

The AR7 issues apparently only occur on lines with interleaving switched on - sky refuse to offer fast path (so this has to be on), it's also thought that only certain DSLAM's cause the issue... There's a forum somewhere of sky admitting that their router had major issues on their DSLAM but the new voice and broadband network is supposed to cure the fluctuating SNR as well as offering a fully unbundled solution which is more cost effective.

Thanks

This was brought to the notice of the forum a couple of years ago through this article-
      Route to ruin? | Real World Computing | PC Pro

This applied to BT's ADSLMax and does not cause the same problems on Sky's LLU which use different DSLAMS and work in a different way.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast