Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

router shuts off

This is a discussion on router shuts off within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I have this really wierd problem, i have just been downloading a copy of windows XP as my MSDN VLK ...

Ronnyuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Clevedon
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

router shuts off

I have this really wierd problem, i have just been downloading a copy of windows XP as my MSDN VLK disc is scratched to buggery but when ever I start using Utorrent and the speed goes above 900k/s my router closes all connections, i have lots of network devices and everyone just drops, I cannot ping the router from wireless or LAN.

I am using a sagem router the new type supplied by Sky and my connection is 100% stable untill i fire up utorrent, I have to reboot the router to get it to come back or wait 5 mins but it will never reconnect to the internet unless you reboot the router.

I would imagine its a problem with the router itself but wondered if anyone else has seen this, I am a MCSE and am pretty clued up on routers but not these sagem things lol

2. Advertisement
      Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

Re: router shuts off

I would say that the router is faulty, but someone else on here may know something more, but I would ask for another router or like I have buy your own.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Andy17 View Post
      I would say that the router is faulty, but someone else on here may know something more, but I would ask for another router or like I have buy your own.
      Thanks, I have just fired up utorrent again and bang whithin 1-2mins the router is fubar and needs rebooting, i have tried different Lan ports on the router, i have now just tried Putting my pc in the DMZ to see if it's something to do with number of connections not getting through maybe?

DMZ made no difference

Something new to add, if I connect my pc to the router via wireless it works fine, although my windows 7 pc doesn't like my WPN111 adapter and blue screens occasionally

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Try downloading a large file from here -http://www.thinkbroadband.com/download/ if it comes down OK, the problem is uTorrrent, not your router.

If possible reduce your upload speed, this can cause your connection to 'choke'.

I should mention that the OSs available on utorrent should be carefully checked for viruses.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Try downloading a large file from here -http://www.thinkbroadband.com/download/ if it comes down OK, the problem is uTorrrent, not your router.

If possible reduce your upload speed, this can cause your connection to 'choke'.

I should mention that the OSs available on utorrent should be carefully checked for viruses.
      My upload is already optimised I have been using torrents for donkeys years

Also can you explain how it can be utorrent causing the problem as I also have a PS3- Xbox360- VOIP phone <safecom> 2 laptops and another pc all conected various different ways including homeplugs/wireless and direct Lan, everything gets shut off, you cannot connect to the routers web based interface.

Thanks for the advice regarding viruses, although I have been using Dos based os's since 1991 and have never yet had a virus

Also downloading a single is fine, I have recently moved house from having 20Mb Virgin using a netgear router and the standard telewest cable modem, no problems there.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

It could be that when Utorrent is using the connection it is flooding the router with errors and causing it to hang.

Is the PC running U torrent wireless?

Post your router stats.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      It could be that when Utorrent is using the connection it is flooding the router with errors and causing it to hang.

Is the PC running U torrent wireless?

Post your router stats.
      It could be, has anyone else had this issue with utorrent or any other torrent program? I have limited the number of inbound connections.

If it was the number of inbound connections why is ok when I use it via wireless

My stats are perfect

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 14496 kbps 798 kbps
      Line Attenuation 32.5 db 17.7 db
      Noise Margin 9.7 db 11.5 db

It only happens when the pc is connected via the Lan socket.

Thanks

I have seen others who have problems when the connection gets flooded via P2P and the errors quickly build up forcing the router to hang. this sounds similar.

It may be than via wireless the download speed is being limited by it and thus causing less errors and more time to resend the packets.

Can you limit the bandwidth allocated to U-torrent?

unseen is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Your not the only one thats noticed this. To get anything resembling useful internet I have to reboot the router which is a pain in the preverbial!

Stats:
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 16551 kbps 1186 kbps
      Line Attenuation 27.0 db 14.8 db
      Noise Margin 7.1 db 7.6 db

Networks all wired, love to know what causes this, like I said as soon as you reboot the router it's fine for anything upto about 24hrs then nothing internet goes to a crawl. I did wonder if it's anything to do with my torrent settings. I have uploads capped at 21kb while downloading and set to 50kb when downloading has finished. Could it be those settings or more a fault with the router itself? One thing I will add, I'm pretty certain this has only started recently in say the last month or 2...

Cheers
      Last edited by unseen; 21-11-09 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Additional info.

Thanks

You have a good speed for your attenuation so you may be getting errors building up and it may be one of those cases where capping the speed by 1mb or so will stop this happening.