Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Help: Ethernet cable to master socket = No internet access

This is a discussion on Help: Ethernet cable to master socket = No internet access within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi all, I made a thread a while back and was advised to purchase a faceplate for my master socket ...

.Lethal is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Help: Ethernet cable to master socket = No internet access

Hi all,

I made a thread a while back and was advised to purchase a faceplate for my master socket so that I could connect the Router directly to that and gain a better connection and have my phone connected at the same time.

Here is where I am having a problem.

I connect the mains socket to the Router and the Ethernet cable to the Master sockets ethernet socket and I only get 2 green lights showing on my router with the

Power = Lights up green
      Wireless = Lights up green = I can see the Router from my PC
      Internet (the @ sign on the Router) = Does not light up.

Also, I figured connecting the Ethernet cable would also display an additional green light for one of the Router ports where I plugged the wire in, this also does not light up on the Router.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some additional info here:

When I tested with the phone plugged into the phone socket on the Master I would get a loud noise in the background when trying to use the phone. This use to happen when I would be using the test socket for my internet and leaving the phone socket unconnected to a BT socket.

When I remove the Ethernet cable and try to use the phone from the Master socket (with the new faceplate attached) the phone works fine.

I am totally at a loss!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I connect the Router via the test socket with the original Routers grey phone line cable and filter the internet works fine again.

Can anyone help shed some light here please?

2. Advertisement
      penrhyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

Re: Help: Ethernet cable to master socket = No internet access

Yes, your Ethernet cable goes between you PC and the router.
      The routers telephone lead plugs into your telephone socket via a filter.
      If you have fitted an ADSL faceplate then you plug your routers telephone lead into this.
      How you managed to plug an Ethernet cable into yopur master socket is beyond me.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penrhyn View Post
      Yes, your Ethernet cable goes between you PC and the router.
      I know that, this is how it was connected in the beginning via an extention from the master socket, the problem with this was my internet speed being reduced to half.

The routers telephone lead plugs into your telephone socket via a filter.
      Yes thats right. Before I bought the faceplate the Router was connected this way.

If you have fitted an ADSL faceplate then you plug your routers telephone lead into this.
      How you managed to plug an Ethernet cable into yopur master socket is beyond me.
      I bought an NTE-2005 Economy Master Faceplate from ADSL Nation. I replaced the original faceplate on the Master socket with this.

This now gave me 2 connections on the Master socket.

One for my phone: Which fits as normal
      One for my internet: This only accepts an ethernet cable? (at least it fits perfectly) the grey standard phone line wire does not fit into the internet socket with this faceplate.

Let me guess, I bought the wrong faceplate that was suggested to me?

penrhyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

Most people on here buy the XTE 2005 filtered faceplate, howver the one you bought should be the same with an RJ11 for the routers telephone lead. Ethernet cables are terminated in the larger RJ45 connector which should be impossible to plug into a filtered faceplate, unless they have supplied you with the wrong item, a twin network connector maybe?

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Sorry but I'm confused.

Can I assume you have the router plugged into the 240 volt supply close to your new Master Faceplate and you are then connecting the Face Plate Internet Socket to the Router with the Routers grey Telephone Cable?

You then have one of the Routers LAN sockets connected to your LAN cable and this then goes to your PC?

That's how I would connect it. Your phone should then be connected to the Master Faceplate Phone Socket (using an extension if needed).

You did buy a LAN Patch cable and not a LAN Crossover cable? The Patch cable connects almost any equipment to a Network and all eight wires are 'straight through' whereas a Crossover Cable has 4 of the wires 'crossed' so you can connect two computers together without a full network.

neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by .Lethal View Post
      I bought an NTE-2005 Economy Master Faceplate from ADSL Nation. I replaced the original faceplate on the Master socket with this.

This now gave me 2 connections on the Master socket.

One for my phone: Which fits as normal
      One for my internet: This only accepts an ethernet cable? (at least it fits perfectly) the grey standard phone line wire does not fit into the internet socket with this faceplate.
      I think there's some confusion here. You do not connect an ethernet (RJ45) cable to the filtered faceplate, this connection is between your router and your lan/ethernet port on your PC. You connect your adsl cable (RJ11) to the faceplate, the standard supplied grey RJ11 cable will fit into the NTE-2005 socket.

Exchange:
      Thanks

OK

I'm a little embarrassed here but I will clear this up incase anyone searches with the same thing that I did.

I wired this all up carefully, basiclly this whole thing started because I believed the wireing was wrong on extensions and the master socket (I was right btw re: bad wireing)

I was getting half the download speed when connected via an extension phone socket in my apartment...

ANYWAY here is where I made a boo boo...

After focusing so much and making sure every wire is correct/sockets are wired as they should have been etc etc I then tried to connect the phone lead to the master socket - which didn't fit.

This led me to believe I eaither bought the wrong faceplate or it had to connect via ethernet even though I had always thought ethernet is for Router to PC only - which it is people! or to a Playstation etc from the Router etc etc

Well, the reason the phone lead didn't fit into the master socket was because I still had the filter attached at the end............ Yeah, I had tried to fit the filter into the ADSL socket.

Of course once I removed the filter it popped right in.

I only realised this when I started looking into how RJ11 leads look exactly and it hit me in the face how stupid I had been.

Thanks everyone for trying to help with my dumb actions!