Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Router crashing

This is a discussion on Router crashing within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi I'm having a problem with my router, (sagem one). I have had it for about 5 months and it ...

alienaeon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01872
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Router crashing

Hi

I'm having a problem with my router, (sagem one). I have had it for about 5 months and it would crash every now and again and I'd have to go downstairs and reset it, then sky increased my internet speed which works very well (hits 8.8 most the time) however since the've done that whenever I try to download anything for more than a miniute the router crashes completely (mostly when I download from usenet but has happened a few times when just browsing the net), this is really annoying and I was hoping somebody on here would be able to help, the only way around I've found so far is to limit the speed to about 4.0 and everything seems to be ok but this is far from ideal. Also I have noticed it seems if I don't reset it right away then when I do it won't connect to the internet for about a day and a half showing an error code of 500 if I click on sky test on the router settings.

If it helps my set-up is: router downstairs plugged into a homeplug with the other homeplug upstairs plug into a netgear five port switch, which has my main PC, PS3 and Xbox360 plugged into it. The wireless is used by 2 laptops, a PSP, Wii and my mobile phone.

2. Advertisement
      Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Router crashing

Quote Originally Posted by alienaeon View Post
      Hi

I'm having a problem with my router, (sagem one). I have had it for about 5 months and it would crash every now and again and I'd have to go downstairs and reset it, then sky increased my internet speed which works very well (hits 8.8 most the time) however since the've done that whenever I try to download anything for more than a miniute the router crashes completely (mostly when I download from usenet but has happened a few times when just browsing the net), this is really annoying and I was hoping somebody on here would be able to help, the only way around I've found so far is to limit the speed to about 4.0 and everything seems to be ok but this is far from ideal. Also I have noticed it seems if I don't reset it right away then when I do it won't connect to the internet for about a day and a half showing an error code of 500 if I click on sky test on the router settings.

If it helps my set-up is: router downstairs plugged into a homeplug with the other homeplug upstairs plug into a netgear five port switch, which has my main PC, PS3 and Xbox360 plugged into it. The wireless is used by 2 laptops, a PSP, Wii and my mobile phone.
      Sounds like a faulty router to me, but I could be wrong may be worth phoning sky to get the router replaced.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If it helps my set-up is: router downstairs plugged into a homeplug with the other homeplug upstairs
      There have been a couple of reports about Homeplugs causing this problem. You would have to rule these out by plugging straight into the router with the homeplugs disconnected. You would also have to rule out the switch by connecting it directly to the router with an ethernet cable.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

alienaeon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01872
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Hum, maybe I'll try doing some downloading off the laptop though a cable connected to the router and see if that helps, will be a pain if it does cause the router and the PC or pretty far away and wireless was useless (plus I'm not shelling out for a 360 wireless thing). If it does still crash I'll give sky a ring.
      Thank you for the ideas.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Homeplugs are the best bet especially for gaming, but as I said there have been problems reported. Maybe you would like to tell us exactly what make and model of these you are using?

I will try to dig out the problem report, or maybe the user who posted will respond.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.