Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

How to increase the range or replace the SAGEM Router?

This is a discussion on How to increase the range or replace the SAGEM Router? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi All, Newbie and techo novice here.... Just got Sky broadband and find that the Sagem router does not have ...

kasbridge is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01244
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

How to increase the range or replace the SAGEM Router?

Hi All,
      Newbie and techo novice here....

Just got Sky broadband and find that the Sagem router does not have the range that I need - I need an N or N+ router to get through my walls.

Would ideally like to replace the SAGEM with a Netgear DGN2000 that I already have or somehow increase the range of the SAGEM. Another idea is to use the DGN2000 as a wireless bridge but I dont have a clue how to do this.

Sky are not much help other than offering to cancel the service if I wish. They flatly refuse to give me the logon details for the bb service.

I have tried the password utility on the web to get to my username and password from the MAC address and WEP but cannot get the Netgear to log on to Sky BB using these credentials.

Any ideas/hints?

All help gratefully received.....
      Cheers,
      Kevin.

2. Advertisement
      dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: How to increase the range or replace the SAGEM Router?

Why not keep the Sky Sagem and turn off it's WiFi section (from the set up menu at 192.168.0.1). Then connect the other router to the Sagem with only a LAN cable but leave the other routers WiFi active. You will then have no problem with User names and Passwords as the Sky router is connected to the Internet but the WiFi is handled by the Netgear DGN2000.

Personally I'd use HomePlug - Internet over mains 240v cable - rather than WiFi but that is my choice.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Have a look at this thread, post ~ 7 in particular -
      dg934g and cable routers

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

kasbridge is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01244
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

All,
      Thanks fellas, I chickened out as I am v time poor and bought the Belkin version of the DLAN product using mains wiring as a wfi extender.

The unit worked perfectly with no setup and reaches my outbuildings which are actually on a separate fused spur and distribution unit from the main house. It is also noticeably faster than the wi-fi access in the main house (presumably because it is a wired ethernet conection straight into the Sagem router?)

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated......must read a book on networking....
      Kevin.