Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sagem router broken/frozen, help please.

This is a discussion on Sagem router broken/frozen, help please. within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hey all, wondering if people here could lend a hand. My Sagem router seems to have hit the skids. I've ...

kabukiman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sagem router broken/frozen, help please.

Hey all,

wondering if people here could lend a hand.

My Sagem router seems to have hit the skids. I've often had problems with it, having to leave it off for an hour, use the reset button to get it going again etc but this has only been once every couple of months so I've never been too bothered.

Yesterday however after leaving connection died again, with the @ symbol being red and no light on the far right. So I unplugged it for a few hours and when turning it on again it seems to have completely frozen. Now after leaving it unplugged instead of cycling through all the flashing lights the (from the left) 1st light is off, 2nd is green, 3rd is off and 4th (the @ symbol is red) and all the 4 lights on the right are green. Also the reset button seems to do nothing at all anymore, and hasn't for the last couple of times it broke.

After phoning sky we got to the part where I need to use the installation CD so they can confirm they have gone through the checklist and send me a new router. Unfortunately my flat mate has lost the CD, so it's gonna take 3-5 working days before I get a CD, then if that doesn't fix it, another while till I get my new router

I'm heading back to uni soon and really need the internet at home so I was wondering if

a) someone can suggest some fixes to get it working or

b) (here is where its get crafty) post some screens of what would happen if i were to use the installation CD and things not go right, that way I can call up sky pretend I'm going through the motions and get my router sooner...

Thanks in advance

K

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Re: Sagem router broken/frozen, help please.

Your firmware has failed on the router, without the CD you cannot run the restore utility to repair the router software. You will not get the router sooner by cheating as you have to follow a step by step routine from the agent and they will ask what is happening at each step.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You can try this -
      Download this SagemSky 1.5 image go to the Router Upgrade section of the router, browse to the file you downloaded and click Upload. This is a slightly modified version of the Sky firmware, supplied by James67 which, if firmware is your problem, will fix it.

This assumes that you can get into the router settings by putting 192.168.0.1 in the address bar, if you can't, I don't see how you can do it even if you had the disk and Sky supports guidance. I don't think there is a Recovery Utility for the Sagem.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

There is on the new version CDs. There's a tool for Netgear and Sagem and now and again they work Seriously though, if the tool can access the router it will 9/10 times repair it, if it cannot access it though it's a brick and will need replacing.

Thanks

That is useful to know Paul, but if it works like other Recovery Utilities it will require the router to be put into 'flashing mode'. From what the OP says, this might not be possible if the reset button has no effect.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Sounds more like the router hardware has failed, the CD may be being sent out as the router may be resetting into "flashing mode" which is why the reset button doesn't seem to do anything to it. If the LAN lights are on without any LAN cables in then odds are hardware has failed but sometimes a FW failure can trigger weird lights too. My guess would be hardware or PSU failure.
      It's a shame that people don't keep the CDs to hand, that allows it all to be done in one hit and if it fails to recover the router is replaced straight away. Wonder if sky can be talked into allowing the recovery tools to be downloaded from the sky site, obviously people would need access to another connection for a few mins but it would at least allow a work around if someone could download it at work or round a mates.

Thanks

I would say it is a hardware failure too. The OPs reference to right and left suggests it has been sitting on flat, which is not the best way to use the router. It may have suffered from overheating.

TomD

Useful Utilites

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

It does not matter if it is version 3/4, this firmware restoration/upgrade never seems to work as the network cable will not be recognised. I have no clue why sky are thinking they have resolved it with this new version 4 CD and sky are even telling agents to send out the CD even when the ethernet connection will not work. Ping the router whilst you have the ethernet cable plugged in, if it is 100% loss or even 75% loss I've heard of in some cases, then ring sky and tell them the CD does not work.

I guarantee you that it will not work and you will need a replacement router and power cable from sky. Sometimes it's a power cable issue, sometimes router - it's very strange. Make sure you change over both pieces of equipment when you receive them.

Edit: Oh, another little gem by sky - they get you to change your default gateway to 192.168.1.1 for the restoration process... err...
      Last edited by User05; 17-09-09 at 12:03 PM.

Thanks

Edit: Oh, another little gem by sky - they get you to change your default gateway to 192.168.1.1 for the restoration process... err...
      That is probably because they are following instructions from an article by Sagem. The default IP of the standard Sagem is 192.168.1.1, that would be mentioned in the instructions.

TomD

Useful Utilites

hbdgaz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I appear to be having exactly the same problem as kabukiman, along with a nice whirring noise now comming from the PSU in the router. I've just tried emailing sky but the stupid form isn't working so I'll be phoning them this evening.

My router is entirely uncontactable by wireless or ethernet - my laptop won't even register that the ethernet cable has been plugged in to anything.

How is the restoration process supposed to fix this problem?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast