Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Netgear 934 problems with network printer

This is a discussion on Netgear 934 problems with network printer within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Can anyone help. I have a Lexmark E352dn laser printer, it connects via LAN port to the router, so all ...

Haden is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01942
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Netgear 934 problems with network printer

Can anyone help. I have a Lexmark E352dn laser printer, it connects via LAN port to the router, so all the house PC's can print. Of course the little Netgear 934 is being a pain, it recognises the printer,, shown as "unkown" attached device, gives it an IP address, but try and print... NOTHING! Defo router issue.

Has anyone else had a similar problem / or a cure?

I also run Slim Devices Squeezeboxes, and this 934 thing cannot cope with the WIFI bandwidth.

The modem is out of date and far too basic these days.

Can anyone help me in setting up another modem to log in to SKY and work with the rest of my kit? I

Very pleased with BB speed etc, but the modem is out of date and simply not up to modern standards. Why SKY are so sensitive about the log in, I have no idea. I was not told you "had" to use this awful modem whan I signed up. I have a good printer and music server that are useless at the moment...

SKY are being less than helpful.

I would be happy to pay to get an upgrade or get this lot to work!

2. Advertisement
      dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Netgear 934 problems with network printer

As you seem to be aware what you are asking is against Sky's T&C's but if you wish to proceed nonetheless the answers are here :-
      Technical discussion

Thanks

I have a little more "understanding" of how the SKY system works... the router sets its own script. The help on this web site has sorted that much. Having spent over 5 hours on the phone to SKY, and not got anywhere.

I have no wish to upset SKY etc. BUT I need a router that works with my equipment!

Does anyone know if the 934 can be used as 'just' a modem? And then say feed it into a cable style router / wireless beast?

Ned Ludd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Haxby
      Broadband ISP: PlusNet
      Router: TP-Link WR2543ND
      Sky TV: FreeSat
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Haden View Post
      Can anyone help. I have a Lexmark E352dn laser printer, it connects via LAN port to the router, so all the house PC's can print. Of course the little Netgear 934 is being a pain, it recognises the printer,, shown as "unkown" attached device, gives it an IP address, but try and print... NOTHING! Defo router issue.

Has anyone else had a similar problem / or a cure?

I have the same router connected to an Epson via ethernet. It was a breeze to set up!
      What makes you so sure that it is a router problem and not the printer s/w setup?
      Are you sure that the Printer s/w is pointing to the printer via its IP address?
      I use a fixed IP on mine and installed the s/w for a networked printer. It found the printer OK.

Really could do with a little more info .........
      Geoff, York.
      Can't call me a Luddite now!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: DG934G router doesnt work with network printer - Help!

If you have a router that works with you printer and other gear it is fairly easy piggy-backing it on to your Sky router. If you want to try it, here's how -
      Enter the primary router LAN settings and change the last figure in DHCP server to 253 from 254. Make sure you click Apply

Remove the Ethernet cable from the Sky router and plug it into the Second router

Enter the settings of the secondary router using the routers default address, which will depend on its make.
      Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router (255.255.255.0) with an address of 192.168.0.254.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section with the same settings the primary router. Remember to confirm each change you make.

Reconnect the Ethernet cable to the Sky router

Connect from one of the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. Remember it must be connected by an Ethernet cable which can be up to 100m long..

Leave the WAN port unconnected!!! After connecting the Ethernet cable to the Sky router, reboot everything to allow new addresses to be allocated. Remember to save all changes as you make them

If you have followed this correctly, you should be able to enter the Primary routers settings and in the Attached Devices section, you should see that the Secondary router is shown with the 254 address and the PC attached to it should be shown with a different address. You should also be able to see the Secondary routers settings by typing http://192.168.0.254/ in the address bar of any PC attached to the network.

Moved here from DG934G router doesnt work with network printer - Help!

Please confine queries to one thread.
      Last edited by Isitme; 08-09-09 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Moved post

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Re: DG934G router doesnt work with network printer - Help!

Thank you on all counts. For the sake of 12 quid, just bought an older 834G SKY router off the dreaded eBay; I have used this device before (not a SKY configured one) it had better WIFI range than this cute little 934 I am hoping this may not have the same "printer" issues... I would rather just run one "lump" than two. If the 834 works with the printer I will be one happy bunny. If not I will follow your very kind instructions.

Thanks

UPDATE: The 834G router had no issues, but the WIFI range was only marginally better than the 934. Now, this revealed a flaw in either the Lexmark software, or a Windows bug that showed the cause of my netwroks problems was that Windows had a completely wrong and random IP address for the printer... by manually changing this the 934 can now be used with the Network printers... very very bizarre.

I really wish SKY could offer a higher specification router, or provided a "basic" Broadband modem that could be connected to any cable style router or sophiticated home network. This would help everyone.

My home network has many things attached; the 834 & 934 simply cannot cope compared with the latest multi in multi out wifi routers. I have superb 16MB download speeds... and now have had to use "wires" to feed my music servers!

Many thanks for the help offered here.

Kindest regards,

Haden.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I am surprised that you find the DG834GT inferior to the DG934G for wireless, most find the opposite is the case. If you go into its wireless setting and change the mode from Auto-108 to 'g only' and experiment with the channels I think you will find a difference.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.