Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sagem Router Problem

This is a discussion on Sagem Router Problem within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; First of all thanks for looking at the thread. I for the life of me do not know what is ...

Dcontrol is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Unhappy Sagem Router Problem

First of all thanks for looking at the thread. I for the life of me do not know what is causing this issue with my router, so let me elaborate on it a bit more and hopefully one of you good forum members will know what to do about it. I have the Sagem router (firmware 1.5Sky & connected to the main phone line with a filter) and I can be connected for hours and hours and have no problems at all but now it's totally different. My router seems to freeze and loses it's connection to the internet (regularly through out the day) and the only way to solve it is by powering it off and then back on again. It's becoming increasingly frustrating especially as I game a fair bit on Xbox Live and get disconnected from games. I am at my wits end.

Here are my router stats below, apologies for the way it's set out.

Router Statistics

System Up Time: 0:46:11
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 12325 16484 0 0 0 0:45:19
      LAN 220 0 0 0 0 0:46:11
      WLAN 19616 14785 0 0 0 0:45:47
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7428 kbps 767 kbps
      Line Attenuation 46.0 db 24.5 db
      Noise Margin 6.9 db 16.0 db

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Re: Sagem Router Problem

Do you connect wirelessly or via ethernet connection? Do ALL devices in the house (xbox, PC, laptops etc) cease to access the internet whenever you mentioned the router 'freezes'? Have you noticed the fourth light down on the router (the @ symbol) goes off and flashes amber - solid amber and then green? Or do all the lights stay solid/flashing green even when you've lost connection?

We just need to find out whether it's the connection dropping sync or whether it's the wireless dropping. From there, we can help you out.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I have the Sagem router (firmware 1.5Sky
      This is the old firmware, you should have 1.9, that could be part of the problem.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I'll try updating the firmware and seeing if that solves the problem. How exactly do I do this? I have opened up the relevant selection but there is no update option just an upload option. So I take it I have to find the file on the net and upload for it to update.

I connect the laptop, 2 360's and a PS3 wirelessly and have a wired ethernet connection when on the pc. The lights all stay green and everything loses it's connection.

EDIT - I take it I have to wait for Sky to automatically update it
      Last edited by Dcontrol; 31-08-09 at 08:06 PM.

Thanks

If you leave it connected it should update automatically. I thought the firmware looked for updates each time it went on line. but that does not seem to be the case. It could be the update servers are down. Maybe one of the Skybods on the forum could advise?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Don't quote me on this, but I should assume the router scans for new firmware each time it re-syncs/powers on. I haven't heard of any problems with upgrade servers or anything, but it seems specifically a problem with the phase 2 sagem routers update process. Some upgrade no problems; others do not. Have you ever gotten a prompt on your browser suggesting that firmware upgrade/restoration was in process and not to turn off the router?

You could use the sky set-up disc you received when you joined sky and run the sagem recovery exe on the disc. I haven't tried a firmware upgrade/restoration in ages otherwise I'd tell you the exact steps to try it. If you explore the CD via My Computer then you'll find a sagem application that you can run. Make sure the ethernet cable is connected and see if the router is recognised when it attempts upgrading. You may find it will be unsuccessful if you get that far, however.

I think failing that you'll need to contact sky. If they do start talking about firmware then you may be told they'll send you a new CD out and call back when you receive it to attempt the upgrade. However, I'm pretty sure the correct procedure (unless very recently changed) is to send out a replacement router instead of new CDs for firmware issues on the phase 2 sagem routers that are bricked. Politely tell the agent to send out a new router as you've attempted the upgrade process yourself already. You should have a new router in 3-5 days via parcelforce (or if you're one of the lucky ones, 2 days!). Oh, and apologies for this essay, but make sure you change both the power cable and router when you receive the new equipment assuming this is a firmware issue of course.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If you leave it connected it should update automatically. I thought the firmware looked for updates each time it went on line.
      I thought exactly the same and my router is constantly on so it's always connected (until it freezes that is).

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      Have you ever gotten a prompt on your browser suggesting that firmware upgrade/restoration was in process and not to turn off the router?
      No I haven't but I'll check to see if it has occurred to the missus. She isn't computer literate in the slightest and will probably just push bloody buttons.

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      You could use the sky set-up disc you received when you joined sky and run the sagem recovery exe on the disc.
      I'll have a look for the disc and see if I am able to do what you suggested. Thanks very much for the replies guys, it's greatly appreciated. And as I type this post I have to reboot my router

Exchange:
      Thanks

No problemos. I do stress, though, that if you don't have the CD to just attempt it then ring sky and let them know what's going on. You may get lucky and someone will send you a new router straight off, but if someone suggests they will send you a CD, politely decline and suggest you've already tried it and it 'failed'. New router should be then sent and with you in 3-5 days.

As I say, this is assuming it is a firmware problem!

Thanks

The disk may also have the old firmware on it. If it is disconnecting so often then it is unlikely to be the firmware, more likely a line fault.

If you have extensions and have a Test socket, link below, try plugging in there. That will establish if the fault is in your internal wiring. Post your stats from the Test socket.

You might also want to download Router stats Lite and run it, keeping a graph of your noise margin.This will show whether noise on your line is causing the problem. Get it here - Internet Software

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

I would like once again to say thank you for all your help guys. I've been busy with work lately and never did get around to phoning Sky about this. I checked my router settings this week and my firmware has been automatically updated. As it turns out it must have been a firmware problem and since my Sky router has since been upgraded to 1.9 all the problems have mysteriously vanished.