Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky Netgear Router

This is a discussion on Sky Netgear Router within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I would be grateful for any help/assistance/advice on the following. I am trying to help a friend who uses Sky ...

Shefffield12 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0114
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky Netgear Router

I would be grateful for any help/assistance/advice on the following. I am trying to help a friend who uses Sky broadband resolve a long standing problem.

This started some while back with the Netgear Router dropping connections, when I called round to try and help it would never do it for me. I eventually disconnected all the telephone extensions in the house leaving the filter plugged into the main phone socket, I took the front off the box and plugged the filter into the internal sockets [even though there were no extensions connected], I disconnected her sonís X Box, changed the filter for a brand new one just in case and left things like this but still no joy. I have always suspected the router and got her to contact Sky, I did her a script to read out to them outling ever thing we had done, she was on the phone over an hour and then got disconnected!

The situation has now got worse, although the laptop shows as being connected with the range as excellent she canít connect to the internet, this is still the same when using a LAN cable. On reconnecting the phones these work OK.

Her laptop works fine at my house [Virgin cable] my laptop does not work at hers, exactly the same problem.

Because of her past experiences dealing with Sky she was about to buy a new router, I managed to convince her that it was not as easy as this because the router is linked to the Sky package [I hope this is correct]. The only thing I have not done is reset the router as I am unsure what has to be done to get it up and running again particularly the X Box. I always thought the router or the phone line was at fault but I am now 100% sure it is the router

Sorry about the length of this I am trying to persuade her to call Sky again and ask for a new router but want to make sure there is nothing more I can do. I read on one of the posts that Sky has a free phone number 0800 0152595 rather than use its 0870 number, is this correct?

2. Advertisement
      penrhyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

Re: Sky Netgear Router

Sounds like you did all the usual checks, did you also log on to the router and check the statistics? What happens when it loses connection, does the internet LED change from green to yellow and start flashing?

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Sounds like you've done just about everything you can for now. As the above post states, do confirm that the internet light is dropping and flashing amber/staying off. Just to also confirm - the ADSL cable that is being used that comes from the 'modem' part of the filter - that is a light grey rj11 cable that sky supplied? Or is it an extension cable? Also, is there any noise on the landline?

You could try another router if need be, even borrowing a sky router from a relative/friend and seeing if the internet light comes up green (usual protocol it will flash amber - solid amber - green). If not a sky router, then you'll need the username : password which there are articles on this very site on how to get I believe.

Alternatively, just ring sky whilst plugged into the test socket. State you've changed the filter and you are not using any extension cables (assuming that you are not). They'll ask the usual questions again and pass you to the customer solutions team. The fault should be resolved ASAP from there, whether that be an external fault or faulty router.

Thanks

Thanks Penrhyn and User 05 for your prompt responses, I can't say whether the led changed colour or started flashing, I was never there when it happened and never really thought to ask about it, but I will try and find out The ASDL cable is the one supplied by Sky. There is no noise interference on the phone line, incidentally if there were a problem on the phone line will Sky sort this out or would she have to contact BT?

Sky is to be contacted over the weekend, I have told my friend to try the free phone number, go through everything again with them and ask for a new router. To give you an idea as to what she was up against last time she phoned them, she told them that the router and phone were plugged into the internal socket on the main phone point, whoever she was speaking to still insisted that she unplug this and then plug it back in again, hey presto this also disconnected the phone she was using. If she gets nowhere with them this time I will go round to her place [it’s a 45 minute drive each way] and have a go at them myself. This lot has been going on now for over six months!

Depending on how things go it may be a few days before I report back. If she gets a new router I take it will be just a matter of inputting the new code that comes with it for wireless connectivity and the usual procedure for security encryption also I take it that to get the X Box working this will also be simple matter of using the new router code.

I am really grateful to you both for your help and advice.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Do remember to make sure the fourth light down (it's an @ symbol on the black phase 2 routers or an 'i' symbol on the phase 1 white netgear router) is either flashing amber or completely off. Even more specifically, make sure that the power light is on (first LED), no test light (second LED), wireless light on (third LED), internet light OFF (fourth LED) and one of the last 4 lan port lights on if you're connecting via ethernet connection at the time.

If the internet light is on green, then post back here.

If the lights are any different to that, then it should simply be a quick replacement by sky when you next ring up if you state the lights are inconsistent to how they should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Shefffield12 View Post
      There is no noise interference on the phone line, incidentally if there were a problem on the phone line will Sky sort this out or would she have to contact BT?
      It depends who your friend pays line rental to. If it is sky talk line rental, then it has to go through sky talk technical support. If it is BT, then 0800 80 01 51 to BT faults dept. is the number. That's ONLY if you hear crackles/pops/static on the voice line whilst the router is unplugged.

To give you an idea as to what she was up against last time she phoned them, she told them that the router and phone were plugged into the internal socket on the main phone point, whoever she was speaking to still insisted that she unplug this and then plug it back in again, hey presto this also disconnected the phone she was using.
      I think some agents get confused by the 'script' when it says to 'unplug telephony devices'.

If she gets nowhere with them this time I will go round to her place [it’s a 45 minute drive each way] and have a go at them myself. This lot has been going on now for over six months!
      To save you guys from having to hang up to do some checks and ring back etc. then just make sure you're plugged into the test socket stating that you've tried new filters and you have no internet light. It should be a quick enough call before you're passed over to the customer solutions team. From there, after some initial checks are done, then you should be some steps closer to finding the fault.

Depending on how things go it may be a few days before I report back. If she gets a new router I take it will be just a matter of inputting the new code that comes with it for wireless connectivity and the usual procedure for security encryption also I take it that to get the X Box working this will also be simple matter of using the new router code.
      Yep, it would be a new SSID and network key assigned to the router. So when connecting it back up wirelessly, you'll look for the new SSID in the network list (the SSID is found on the sticker on the bottom of the router, as is the network key) and connect to it. Then enter the network key all in capitals when prompted to and it should be good.

Thanks

My friend phoned Sky, they took her through all the usual checks and then instructed her to use a ‘ping’ [she does not know what this was for, by this time she was totally confused], she recalls that this came back with a message inside a black box saying something like 100% failure or undeliverable she can’t quite remember what precisely followed the 100%. When she told the Sky operator this there was no positive response from them, my friend asked whether or not it was the router that was at fault, the operator replied that she would request a new router and that someone would call her back within 24 hours, needless to say this did not happen. My friend phoned Sky again to ask why she had not been contacted; this operator could not find any reference to her previous call or the promise of a new router! As she called from her father’s home the operator would not take matters any further saying she had to call from the location where the router was situated so he could go through the process once again [this is now the third time]

I have asked her to do as requested and if she gets nowhere I will go round to her home on Wednesday and call them myself. She is at her wits end at the manner in which she has been treated by Sky and I wonder if this is par for the course or has she just been unlucky. She is not particularly ‘techie’ but she has a great deal of common sense but is very aggrieved at the way she is being treated.

Does the ‘ping’ make any sense to anyone, if so what does it indicate?

I got her to run through things again and it now appears that with the LAN cable connected she can access the internet and wonders if this is the result of the numerous things she was asked to do by the Sky operator. She can’t access the internet by wireless and tells me that all four led’s remaining green whilst trying to connect wirelessly.

Once again sorry for the length of this post but I would appreciated any further help or assistance anyone can offer particularly if I have to do the 90 minute return journey on Wednesday to try and sort things out as it would be at least three weeks before I could get round there again.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

She canít access the internet by wireless and tells me that all four ledís remaining green whilst trying to connect wirelessly.
      This is how it should be, wireless does not light a port as LAN does. Sky routers are supplied with wireless security set to WPA with the pass key shown on the router label and in the routers wireless settings. It consists of 8 capital letters. I would think she is not applying this correctly. 1. As a start, using LAN, go into the wireless settings and under Security Options, click Disable. Disconnect the LAN cable.
      2. Now, Right clicking the wireless icon in the tray should bring up a Menu, choose the 'Connect to a Network' option. This should bring up a pane showing the networks in her area, one of which will be hers. It can be identified by the SSID which will be something like SKY77777 and will be shown as an unsecured network. If there is more than one Sky SSID shown, check in the wireless settings for the correct one.
      3. Clicking 'Connect' should allow her access.
      4. If she gains access, disconnect from the wireless and plug in the cable again. Go to the wireless settings, re-enable WPA and make a note of the passkey.
      5. Go back to 2 above and this time when she clicks Connect, she will be asked for a passkey, put the one in noted earlier.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

My friend phoned Sky, they took her through all the usual checks and then instructed her to use a Ďpingí [she does not know what this was for, by this time she was totally confused], she recalls that this came back with a message inside a black box saying something like 100% failure or undeliverable she canít quite remember what precisely followed the 100%. When she told the Sky operator this there was no positive response from them, my friend asked whether or not it was the router that was at fault, the operator replied that she would request a new router and that someone would call her back within 24 hours, needless to say this did not happen. My friend phoned Sky again to ask why she had not been contacted; this operator could not find any reference to her previous call or the promise of a new router! As she called from her fatherís home the operator would not take matters any further saying she had to call from the location where the router was situated so he could go through the process once again [this is now the third time]

I have asked her to do as requested and if she gets nowhere I will go round to her home on Wednesday and call them myself. She is at her wits end at the manner in which she has been treated by Sky and I wonder if this is par for the course or has she just been unlucky. She is not particularly Ďtechieí but she has a great deal of common sense but is very aggrieved at the way she is being treated.

Does the Ďpingí make any sense to anyone, if so what does it indicate?

I got her to run through things again and it now appears that with the LAN cable connected she can access the internet and wonders if this is the result of the numerous things she was asked to do by the Sky operator. She canít access the internet by wireless and tells me that all four ledís remaining green whilst trying to connect wirelessly.

Once again sorry for the length of this post but I would appreciated any further help or assistance anyone can offer particularly if I have to do the 90 minute return journey on Wednesday to try and sort things out as it would be at least three weeks before I could get round there again.
      Yeah, the ping command is to check whether you're connected to the router (presumably wireless) successfully. When you said that the four port lights are on - are they on with nothing plugged into it or do you mean none of those lights are on? As Isitme posted, if they're not on when nothing is plugged in, this is normal as there is only a light lit when an ethernet cable is connected.

It seems it's just a wireless issue at this point, so just run through what Isitme pointed out and it should be connected.

P.S. Check your PM if you don't get it sorted.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

She canít access the internet by wireless and tells me that all four ledís remaining green whilst trying to connect wirelessly.
      I took this to mean she still had the LAN cable plugged in, plus power, internet and wireless lights.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I took this to mean she still had the LAN cable plugged in, plus power, internet and wireless lights.
      Ahh, good point. OP, you may want to ignore my bit about 'four port lights' then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast