Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Help with setting up a home network?

This is a discussion on Help with setting up a home network? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hello, I have a sky router(the black one, Sagem) I wanted to connect my laptop(vista) with my desktop(XP) via the ...

lfc_fan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Help with setting up a home network?

Hello, I have a sky router(the black one, Sagem)
      I wanted to connect my laptop(vista) with my desktop(XP) via the router so I can share files between them. I'm not quite sure how to do this, but on the desktop I clicked on" set up a home or small office network" and did all the nessecary steps for that.
      I then went onto my laptop and did the same but this time it asked me my routers user and pass which was user:admin and password sky. So I entered that and then i got to the web page and that was that.

So I got back to network and there was a public drive there, not sure if it was there in the first place.

I'm just confused about all of this, all help appreciated.
      Thanks, Daniel.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Help with setting up a home network?

Have a look at this article on networking Vista and XP, it takes you through it step by step.
      InformIT: How to Network Vista and XP Computers Together > How to Network Vista and XP Computers Together
      The most common mistake is not having the machines in the same Workgroup. Vista and XP have different default names so one or both must be changed. They will not communicate if the names are different.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

joss is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Adwick-le-Street
      Broadband ISP: sky max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HDmultiroom
      Thanks

Re: Help with setting up a home network?

Lets not forget about fire wall settings too. this can really mess up things.

Kidd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Netherley,Liverpool
      Broadband ISP: O2 Premium
      Sky TV: None
      Thanks

Cool Re: Help with setting up a home network?

I ventured into the network game in June and found it quite easy. Winxp pro/router downstairs - winxp pro/wireless dongle upstairs. Didn't use the network Wizard, Just opened My Network Places>Entire Network>Microsoft Windows Network and the two computers were there. right click on folder to share and select Sharing and Security and select sharing options. As regards workgroups, One was MSHOME and the other was WORKGROUP (forgot to change one of the names) But the 2 groups were in the network and file sharing was used with no trouble, Also thrashed my son on Splinter Cell (Kids think the're so bloody smart!) over the network. I've just installed Vista Ultimate on his computer upstairs and managed to share files (not sure if the workgroup names were the same, I'll post back on that) The only difference between the 2x xp's and the xp - vista was having to set up a user on vista and use a password before you can share.
      Kidd

Kidd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Netherley,Liverpool
      Broadband ISP: O2 Premium
      Sky TV: None
      Thanks

Cool Re: Help with setting up a home network?

I can confirm the 2 computers are on different workgroups and still communicating:
      XP - MSHOME Vista - MAUDE
      I transfered some files to the Vista machine this morning.
      Kidd