Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

router chipset?

This is a discussion on router chipset? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; a friend of mine has stated that when the new speeds rollout his netgear v1 router will perform better than ...

steveblue is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

router chipset?

a friend of mine has stated that when the new speeds rollout his netgear v1 router will perform better than my v2 router, he states because of the chipset?, now he knows i am not too technical on these matters and i wondered is he right? as i am not technical i really didnt understand what he meant

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: router chipset?

Borrow from a post by James, one of the forums more clued up members(sadly not currently posting)
      "The DG834GT uses the Broadcom BCM6348 ADSL microcontroller, as does the Sagem router. The new Netgear Sky router, the DG934G, has a TI-AR7 chipset."

If the new equipment used by Sky is Broadcom based, this might be true. Hardware from the same manufacturer usually works better together than that from different manufacturers.

Note that you will only be put on the new equipment if you have Sky Phone Rental and do not opt out of it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

steveblue is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

thanks for the reply, i do have sky line rental been with them for a good while, i have not recieved a letter or opt out form?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I think some of the letters were included with the Sky Mag, which was not appreciated as many drop it straight in the recycle bin

You should have been advised, as being on Sky's "New highspeed network" makes it difficult if you want to change your ISP. This is why you were able to opt out.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.