Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Issue with phase 2 sagem router

This is a discussion on Issue with phase 2 sagem router within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I work for sky tech support and I am putting together a brief regarding an issue with the sagem router, ...

Revolution_inc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: lisburn
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Media
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: samsung vbox
      Thanks

Post Issue with phase 2 sagem router

I work for sky tech support and I am putting together a brief regarding an issue with the sagem router, some of you may have noticed that some of the sagem routers are experiencing an issue where all 4 Ethernet lights will be on and ether the internet light or test light will be on, Sky have yet to release a call flow script for the issue and a few of my colleagues are having difficulty telling this issue apart from a failed firmware update issue (power and test lights flashing). In some cases it is possible to recover the box by preforming a cold reset (removing power cable, holding the rest button and while continuing to hold it in place the power cable back in), I am not an outbound agent so I am unable to follow up on these things to see if it reoccurs. If this step doesn't work a replacement will normally be ordered as in this state there is no local connection to the router to try re-flashing using sky1.1. When the new box is received some end users will call back with the same issue and same lights on their new router, by changing the power cable for the replacement that was sent with the router this seems to resolve the issue. I have only seen this a few times now so im looking some feed back if anyone has had their issue resolved in this manner, if I can gather enough information on this issue i was planning to organise something with my manager to see if we could have the power cable added to the replaceable products. This would help to cut down replacement routers but i would like to be absolutely sure that this actually resolves the issue.
      Thanks
      Chris.

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Issue with phase 2 sagem router

Well, we are pushing to ensure all agents are telling customers to change out the PSU as well as the router as we know we will get a call as soon as the new router arrives if they don't but this "all lan ports" issue isn't always the PSU.
      Sometimes its a complete failure of the port hardware on the router or the interface between lan port hardware and the rest of the router hardware, replacing PSU only would help with some issues but unless the customer can be 100% sure that is the issue we would be wasting time and keeping them offline by not sending out router and PSU.
      There are obvious cases (cold PSU when plugged in and turned on for several hours) where we can tell that the PSU is the main culprit but the disco light scenario and all lan port lights on scenario could be a multitude of problems and our IT bods at Sky should be kicking off at Sagem to get further information off them to resolve this as they (Should) know what it means.
      Personally I would prefer Sky to not use the sagem at all as the netgear seems more reliable, stable and less prone to wireless issues but that's my personal view.

dsldude is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Yes at the moment we are getting LOTS of these all 4 Ethernet light calls, and there nearly all from Sagem Routers between 12-24 months old, It is down to a failing in the PSU unit not
      supplying the correct voltage hence the unit will light up but not attempt to sync and lights will start to do random things.

Hopefully this is only a bad batch otherwise sky are going to be replacing allot of routers for a very long time to come.

I do agree with Paul though its best to replace the router and psu as one as we can not expect or trust the average customer to accurately diagnose a failed power supply unit, but it is vital to tell all customers they MUST use the new power supply with there new router.

They should of stuck with the DG834GT's they were better allround, but it wont be long before we get the phase3 routers as Sky will want to hit back at BT broadbands claims of the best wireless router.

NobbyH is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01924
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dsldude View Post
      Yes at the moment we are getting LOTS of these all 4 Ethernet light calls, and there nearly all from Sagem Routers between 12-24 months old, It is down to a failing in the PSU unit not
      supplying the correct voltage hence the unit will light up but not attempt to sync and lights will start to do random things.

Hopefully this is only a bad batch otherwise sky are going to be replacing allot of routers for a very long time to come.

I do agree with Paul though its best to replace the router and psu as one as we can not expect or trust the average customer to accurately diagnose a failed power supply unit, but it is vital to tell all customers they MUST use the new power supply with there new router.

They should of stuck with the DG834GT's they were better allround, but it wont be long before we get the phase3 routers as Sky will want to hit back at BT broadbands claims of the best wireless router.
      My router is only 4 weeks old. I've got the same 4 lan light problem but only intermittently. After 3 to 5 attempts (switching on) I normally get a connection. Up to now helpdesk have not been much use. I don't think its a PSU problem. Will try the reset and see what happens.

paulwigfield is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rock Ferry
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I had this issue about 5 months ago, and my sagem router was 12 moths old.
      When I had the problem with the router not sync'ing I rang sky. They sent me a new router. I told my mate who is an electrician who told me to try a different power adaptor. So I used the one from my external hdd. This worked. Now I have the new router with the new power supply and everything is fine.
      But I now have a spare sagem router if anything happens with this.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

If you are not using wireless then disable it in the sagem. This cuts power requirement by around 50% and may reduce faliure ( I checked this with the old 1.5 software I've not checked with 1.9 but I have no reason to think it would be any differant).
      If you have an old non-Sky router, then get it sorted with your username and pass word so you have a bit of insurance should the worst happen and can get online while you wait for a replacement.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

I would not suggest trying a spare psu unless it has been checked that it is using the same voltage etc as the one it is replacing otherwise smoke and smells may ensue.

NobbyH is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01924
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NobbyH View Post
      My router is only 4 weeks old. I've got the same 4 lan light problem but only intermittently. After 3 to 5 attempts (switching on) I normally get a connection. Up to now helpdesk have not been much use. I don't think its a PSU problem. Will try the reset and see what happens.
      Problem was, Internel light on, 4 Lan lights on, no connection. Finally spoke to UK call centre (Dumfirmline). New router received within 2 days, problem solved.
      Techie son in law confirmed it was a hardware fault.

orbiter is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCFOM
      Router: Netgear D7800 (AC2600) Nighthawk
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

I called Sky this morning and was informed by them that my router PSU was possibly on its way out I noticed the connection playing up last night but to be honest I just put it down to line noise as we'd had bad weather throughout the day. However on rebooting the router this morning I just got a singe red @ light and four (orangy green) flickering ethernet lights (not in use) no power light, wireless or check lights either.

The guy I spoke to was really informative & helpful... Told me about the PSU issues on the sagem routers and said he'd have a new router and PSU sent out right away

ldoodle is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I had this exact problem over the weekend. As my router is now 18 months old will I be charged for a replacement? I hope not as it would appear like an 'inherent' issue, much like the Thomson HD boxes.

Funny thing is this has happened before and unplugging it and replugging it in has always fixed, but not this time. I'll try the reset trick and see if that works.

Also, do Sky have any draft n boxes yet?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast