Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

How can i swap out my Sagem Router for a Non Sky Netgear Router

This is a discussion on How can i swap out my Sagem Router for a Non Sky Netgear Router within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Morning. I am a newbie on this site so Hi to everyone. I have moved to sky from Pipex....Yee ha ...

korkykat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

How can i swap out my Sagem Router for a Non Sky Netgear Router

Morning.

I am a newbie on this site so Hi to everyone.

I have moved to sky from Pipex....Yee ha and although my Broadband connection is ok i am seriously having problems with my Wireless connection.

At the moment when i try to connect to a laptop i have to relocate the laptop to about 5 feet away although i am on the other side of a brick wall to the office.

I have phoned Sky and they checked my settings for the channel and i was on auto..so have changed to channel 1. Still a very weak signal.

I recently was running a NETGEAR DB834 PN which was running very well, i was advised to use this particular model as it was the most compatible with the Nintendo DS which we also have 3 off

Can anyone give me any settings i would need to change back to this router.
      Also
      1 Best Netgear channel to use to get best strength.
      2 Any tweaks i can do to improve connection and or the running of the router.

Or shall i give in a stay with the Sagem and if i do does anyone know of any decent settings i can do to improve it.

Bit complicated for the first post but im sure that there are some Pros out there who know exactly what im talking about.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: How can i swap out my Sagem Router for a Non Sky Netgear Router

have you gone through the other channels on the router? taking it off auto was the correct move...

also, changing the mode to 54g performance might also help...

other option is to turn off the wireless on the Sky router, link it via ethernet to your Netgear and use that as an access point - this way you stay within the T&C's of Sky BB...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

korkykat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Thanks for that.
      I have changed to channel 13.
      Switched to performance mode so going to give that a shout.

Would like to switch back to my router, it seems a bit of a nuisance to put in the ethernet option possibly a bit confusing...have you any more details. Also do you think this is the right way to go as i am certainly not bothered about terms and conditions...

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

in which case read this - just bare in mind that although Sky currently don't seem to care it's not to say they won't...so if you get cut off it's your own fault...

Getting your V1 and V2 router passwords - the safe way

the ethernet way covers your from being cut off - so yes I do think it's the right way...

also, if you're on Connect - you might wanna read these...

Steve's Sky Connect speedtest blog
      Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?
      (Unofficial) FAQ - Sky Connect Users
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Commodore is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: West Drayton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      other option is to turn off the wireless on the Sky router, link it via ethernet to your Netgear and use that as an access point - this way you stay within the T&C's of Sky BB...
      For what it's worth, that's exactly what I did at my old house. We had a v1 Netgear which died, and was replaced with the v2 Sagem by Sky. Very reliable and stable router (and worked far better than my non-Sky Linksys DSL router that I used for a while) but the wireless range was terrible.

We switched off the wireless altogether and connected it via Ethernet to an Apple Airport Extreme (n version) running in Bridge mode. The Sagem still handled all the DHCP assignments, but we pushed all the wireless through the Apple router. Worked a treat and gave us excellent wireless range.

Planning to do exactly the same thing with the v2 Netgear we've just received for our new place, once Sky actually enables the broadband service that is.

Nottslanding is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0115
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+TV/Phone/BB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      have you gone through the other channels on the router? taking it off auto was the correct move...

also, changing the mode to 54g performance might also help...

I was unaware of that, I always left it at the default 'auto' and '802.11b' and I don't quite fully understand what all the different options mean. So 'auto' although works ok I may be better trying another channel??? If so, should I try all the channels individually, but some will work well and some wont, but how do I know which channel is best of the ones that do work???

You also state changing from '802.11b' to '54g performance' what difference will it make???

Cheers

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Auto works for some but can be a complete mare for others, try downloading a tool called netstumbler to check what wireless is in your area and then switch your router to a channel not in use by other people. I use 13 as it's keeps me away from the 11 routers in my area who all seem to be fighting over channel 7