Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

sky new setup and router issues

This is a discussion on sky new setup and router issues within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; i have a good stable connection all through the day but at night my snr drops and i get one ...

steveblue is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

sky new setup and router issues

i have a good stable connection all through the day but at night my snr drops and i get one disconnection, i have an adsl faceplate, router to master socket so i assume i have a noisy line at night, my question is this when sky take over full control of my line will they be able to fix these errors?my snr at night reads 2db hence dropout, i am using the v2 router, having read many posts on router issues a lot of people get disconnections at night, now sky keep saying " when we move you on to our new network, we will have more control over your line and will be able to fix errors and make your line more stable" now am i being to optimistic?

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Re: sky new setup and router issues

It may be that DLM is running, this usually drops and re-connects during the night. Can you post your stats.

steveblue is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

thanks for the reply smithy99 i dont think its dlm,not for the new speeds, i know dlm is constantly running, had this problem for about a year sometimes it will keep connection for 2 days, but the noise margin at night drops more than not nearly everynight, i can cope with that, i am lucky i get the full 16380down and 764 up noise margin always 7/9 db, i am connected to a dedicated adsl line from a filtered faceplate, i decided for a couple of days to plug router into the master socket and sure enough 1 disconnection at about 9.30 pm so i believe the faults on the external line? what i really wanted to know is 1 can anything be done about noise on the external part of my line? and 2 when sky take controll of my line, because i have sky line rental, will they be able to do anything about mine and other peoples noisy lines if its external? also last evening my v2 router was in the master socket and the noise margin dropped to 2db, i remembered i had a spare white v1 router, sky sent me two when i first joined dont know why they did that, so i plugged that in the master socket the noise margin rose to 7.1 but the speed dropped by 3mb, so what do you make of that?
      Last edited by steveblue; 29-06-09 at 08:54 PM.

neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steveblue View Post
      what i really wanted to know is 1 can anything be done about noise on the external part of my line? and 2 when sky take controll of my line, because i have sky line rental, will they be able to do anything about mine and other peoples noisy lines if its external?
      In a word no!

When Sky say they're taking full control of your line what they mean is they will be taking responsibilty of your line on their equipment at the exchange, and even then all physical work done is carried out by BT engineers. BT Openreach are still responsible for the final line into your house which tends to account for the majority of line noise issues so Sky are still reliant on someone else to resolve your issues.