Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Repeater with wireless & Ethernet port

This is a discussion on Repeater with wireless & Ethernet port within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, I suspect my request is a simple one, but after browsing t'internet for several hours have confused myself and ...

CarlGUK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01606
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Repeater with wireless & Ethernet port

Hi,

I suspect my request is a simple one, but after browsing t'internet for several hours have confused myself and gone crosseyed

I have the Sky DG834GT router, in fact I have 2 of them direct from Sky. I've checked both of them and they both work on my telephone line. I use sky broadband mid and am perfectly happy with it.

What I need is a wireless repeater that has both wireless and ethernet connections, my work PC is not wireless and needs an ethernet port to "dial in", and I'd like to extend the distant of my wireless connection to improve my printers wireless performance and to get a wireless signal into the garden.

I reckon I need to either flash both Sky routers and connect them as a primary / repeater arrangement, but am a little concerned Sky may spot this and charge me for the honour of buying a new router (as long as this is less that 100 I wouldn't be devastated, as long as its at least a few months in the future!) or buy something like a Belkin F5D7132 but can't see anywhere whether the ethernet port can be used to connect a PC into the wireless repeater...

help, it may well save whats left of the hair on my head!

Thanks,

Carl

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Repeater with wireless & Ethernet port

You can do this by connecting them by ethernet. It is easier and more secure than wireless. Many have reported that getting any kind of security working with the GT is very difficult. Yu would also have to flash both routers, which is a risk in itself. If you do not have a suitable route for an ethernet cable, buy a pair of Homeplug network plugs. One can be placed next to your main router and the other near your second one.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

unseen is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have to admit, I'd be interested in this one... Wifi for some reason is quite flakey so using two GTs in a repeater mode would be helpful. Which firmware would it need to be flashed with to get that functionality (Haven't flashed the Sky router yet as it's done ok on it's own compared to my original jobby...)

Cheers!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The best place to get information on linking routers by wireless is the Netgear forum-
      Super-G (108 Mbps) & 802.11g (54 Mbps) Routers - NETGEAR Forums
      Put dg834gt wds in the search box and you will get plenty of info. From what I gather the latest firmware does not support WDS but some older versions do.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.