Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need install help

This is a discussion on Need install help within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; My neighbour is with Tiscali internet, and he has just purchased a new PC, which is upstairs, as his Laptop ...

kazz0817 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Need install help

My neighbour is with Tiscali internet, and he has just purchased a new PC, which is upstairs, as his Laptop has broken down.

He has only one phone socket in the house, which I presume would be the master socket, this is in the living room, I myself am with Sky, and presumed incorrectly that the tiscali router would be the same as Sky's, or at least contain an ethernet socket, so I got him a 50m ethernet cable, and agreed to tack the cable in for him, from the living room to his bedroom. But the Tiscali router is just a small poxy hub type thing, with no ethernet connections at all, just some kind of intergrated USB cable popping out of it. So I took round a spare Sky router I had, and connected it up for him, and it shows a clear signal etc, but it wont allow access to the net, just a local network connection it says, so it seems something in the router is blocking the Tiscali connection, is there an easy way round this? can I do anything with the router to make it work for him? or alternatively, is there a cheap easy way to buy some kind of adaptor for his master socket, so his phone can still go in and ethernet?

2. Advertisement
      joss is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Adwick-le-Street
      Broadband ISP: sky max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HDmultiroom
      Thanks

Re: Need install help

It all sounds rather complicated, but You could read here Cabling and faceplate help
      If his master socket is a NTE5 Master socket with the split face plate, he could by a filtered face plate which you will find help on the above like i posted.
      Effectively It would split the ADSL signal from the voice signal. So one socket for the telephone and for the adsl cable from your router RJ11 I think

So the 50Mtr network cable would plug directly in to the master socket filtered face plate up to his comp upstairs.

You then would maybe read here Can I use the router with other ISP?

What is the sky router you have given him? if its a net gear you would basically have to flash the firmware from skys back to net gears. Then apply tiscally settings to the re flashed router.
      Last edited by joss; 13-06-09 at 04:22 PM. Reason: correction

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks, I followed the link and flashed the Sky router DG834GT, the flashing process seemed to go well, I used this firmware: -

Answer

When I went back round to his house, I connected it all back up, but nothing changed, network icon is saying local connection only. I went into router settings, and default Netgear password failed "admin/password" so I used admin/sky and it logged in, which makes me wonder did the flash even work? on looking at settings I can still see Sky stuff under wireless etc, so it looks like the flash failed maybe. The Tiscali internet he has is one of those Speedtouch things (http://www.pipexuk.com/images/conten...30_preview.gif), small cheap looking hubs, with just a short USB integrated in it, no ethernet at all.

So I come back here stumped, he still has no internet, and 13 out of pocket for a 50m ethernet cable we cant use lol.

I just found this though, we have one in our home for Sky BB, and it worked really well: -

ADSL Nation LTD.

problem is I could do with a similar thing, but instead of ADSL socket and a phone socket, can you get them with ethernet sockets and a phone socket?? and more importantly can it work with Tiscali BB?

EDIT Just realised Im still gonna need a modem arent I? cant just connect ethernet from master socket to PC and expect it to work right? hmmm, maybe ringing Tiscali and asking for a new modem would work better? one with ethernet maybe?

Grr we want to use this spare bloody Sky router DG834GT, it would save so much messing, but it just wont connect, yet I can access the settings for the router from his PC, but the BB connection isnt going through, no internet.
      Last edited by kazz0817; 13-06-09 at 08:03 PM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Any ideas? can this Netgear router be made to work in anyways? with tiscali

Exchange:
      Thanks

Bumpaty bump

joss is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Adwick-le-Street
      Broadband ISP: sky max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HDmultiroom
      Thanks

I am currently using the Netgear DG834GT which is non sky. I run this with the TeamDG firmwear.
      When you flashed the sky netgear you didn't use1.02.19? which is the latest update
      Answer this also tells you how to update the router to this latest firmware.

Try again

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Ok, what might be an easier soloution if you are going to run a cable in anyway is to run a phone extension in instead and then just put the USB modem next to the computer.

You can get the bits from B&Q including a cheap IDC tool if you don't want to wait for postage etc, ensure you do this in the correct twisted pair phone cable or if you cannot take back the ethernet lead, you could cut the plugs off and use that..

If that works and you want to improve things you could then fit a filtered faceplate and turn the extension into an ADSL only extension to get the best connection you can for ADSL.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Before the phone idea, I reflashed the router, going round later to try again, couple more questions.

1) Is there a sure fire way of checking if the router is unlocked from sky? by looking at the settings somehow?

2) When I was connected to his line yesterday, it said in router settings, connected, and shows incoming and outgoing speeds, but IP was blank at the top part of the screen. Is this normal? on my own Netgear router my IP is shown as not blank at all.

3) Whats bothering me is when I type in admin/sky after a flash of the router, it still logs me in fine??? also its got the Sky information still in the wireless section, but everything else seems reset, does this mean its not flashed properly? I would have thought the password would have reset to admin/password?

4) Will I need to enter his Tiscali name and password? if so whats the best way to go about getting these? as he has forgot them? will Tiscali give it him over the phone?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You will have to enter the Tiscali details including the username and password before you will be able to connect.

If the router is still responding to the Sky username and password, then it has not flashed properly. You should not see anything connected to Sky. You will need to flash it again.

If it is the DG834GT you are using, download the manual from here - http://kbserver.netgear.com/pdf/dg834gt_manual.pdf

Follow the instructions there to set it up for an ISP, your friend should have been given the details required to connect, including the username and password. If you don't know too much about seting up a router, it will be easier if you use the Setup Wizard..

You will find the basic setup details here - http://www.tiscali.co.uk/help/broadb..._settings.html
      If he has been using a USB modem, the username should be visible in it's connection manager, he will have to conntact the ISP about the password, if Tiscali use one, some ISPs just leave it blank.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ah how do I access the connection manager for the username? we have an idea of the pass but no clue about username, any help appreciated

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast