Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Block Sky DNS servers on Sky router (Sagem)

This is a discussion on Block Sky DNS servers on Sky router (Sagem) within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I wanted to use OpenDNS on my network and enforce its use (for parental controls). Is there a way I ...

fiendishlyclever is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Block Sky DNS servers on Sky router (Sagem)

I wanted to use OpenDNS on my network and enforce its use (for parental controls). Is there a way I can block access to the Sky DNS servers so that users would have to use OpenDNS?

I've tried blocking the IP addresses in the router firewall but this doesn't work. Any other ideas anyone?

2. Advertisement
      dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Block Sky DNS servers on Sky router (Sagem)

Open DNS doesn't work like that. You need to enter the OpenDNS DNS address in the IP/TCP set up for your computer - not the router. The software settings on the computer over-ride the router settings. So in Connections highlight your Network Adaptor, right click, chose Properties, chose TCP/IP, chose Properties and enter the 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.200.200 in the DNS section. You do this on each computer.

You then need to set up an OpenDNS account at OpenDNS | Providing A Safer And Faster Internet and select the type of content you will allow.

After that set up the same account on any computer and adjust the DNS to OpenDNS - you will have the same control available on that computer.

I use it and it works well - for exactly the same reason as you.

It is also OS independent (mine works with Windows and Linux for example).

fiendishlyclever is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I know how to set it on a pc by pc basis - that is how I intend to use it. However there is nothing to stop users changing their settings back to default and therefore use the sky DNS servers, rendering any filtering ineffective.

That is why I wanted to block access to the Sky DNS servers, so users would not be able to change from OpenDNS without considerable effort (rather than simply changing get DNS from default).

Sorry I didn't provide enough information on my original request. Without the ability to block the sky DNS servers it is a matter of changing a single option to bypass all the security that OpenDNS provides.

I'll keep searching for an answer

Proppinupthebar is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Locks Heath
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Sky TV: 2*Sky+, Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I don't use the Sagem as my router (I have a PC based firewall doing my routing) and have added the OpenDNS IP's to the router setup. I hadn't realised the Sagem DNS settings couldn't be changed, but I've checked and you are right they can't.

SniffTheGlove is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Malvern
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I too use a PC based firewall to control my network. IPCop and I have the content filtering add on as well, so it blocks nasty content and is also configuable with traffic graphs etc.

Being using this setup for 6 years now.

Outside connection is on ISP router (Currently Sky Sagem) which forwards all traffic to the Firewall which then distributes around the seperate internal network, there is also my old ISP routers on the internal network just set up to provide extra wirleess cover around the house/garden. I have 3 in total so I covered for wireless.

Anyway, put the OpenDNS on the Firewall and point all your internal devices to the firewall for their DNS.

Currenlty as far as I have read the Sagem router is not hackable and able to change locked settings, then you could put another router (on old normal router from a differnet ISP/shop) before the sky one on a different class c address and double NAT the connection.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I don't have a Sagem router so I can't check if this would work, it did on the old firmware of the DG834GT. What you can try is backing up the router settings to your desktop, edit the settings to use OpenDNS then save them back to your router. I am not sure if the Sagem firmware will allow this, it has been taken out of the Netgear firmware so it may not.

CU firmware in the DG834GT allows changing the DNS servers,

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Proppinupthebar is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Locks Heath
      Sky TV: 2*Sky+, Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I don't have a Sagem router so I can't check if this would work, it did on the old firmware of the DG834GT. What you can try is backing up the router settings to your desktop, edit the settings to use OpenDNS then save them back to your router. I am not sure if the Sagem firmware will allow this, it has been taken out of the Netgear firmware so it may not.

CU firmware in the DG834GT allows changing the DNS servers,
      I had the same thought last night. The saved config doesn't contain any dns server settings

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Pity, the only way to do it would be to flash it with standard firmware, which of course is against the T & Cs. They obviously learned their 'mistake' with the original V1 firmware

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.