Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Connecting wirelessly using laptop with built-in wireless card.

This is a discussion on Connecting wirelessly using laptop with built-in wireless card. within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I have already passed my activation date, and have all the lights and connections correct. I can connect to the ...

sandipv is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Connecting wirelessly using laptop with built-in wireless card.

I have already passed my activation date, and have all the lights and connections correct. I can connect to the internet only by physical Ethernet cable.

However I wish to connect using the built-in wireless card on my laptop, it is a brand new laptop with the latest wireless technology so I cannot understand why I cannot connect wirelessly.

I spent nearly over an hour talking to sky technical support going through the router settings and changing the security encryption from WPA to WEP and using a WEP network key etc. Still no luck, I can keep on getting an error message saying "windows cannot connect to this network".

Please can anybody help me, sky have already said they cannot help me any further, and have advised me to purchase a USB dongle from them, I would however prefer to connect without paying for a USB dongle and losing a USB port to the dongle. The laptop I am using is an Acer 5673WLmi, with a built-in wireless card... WLAN: Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG network (dual-band tri-mode 802.11 a/b/g).

Any help on this will be much appreciated!

2. Advertisement
      Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Try logging into the router and changing the Mode from th edefault g & b to Auto 108

If you are not sure how to do this login clicking on this link

http://192.168.0.1 A little box will pop-up
      the default username/password is admin/sky

Got to the link on the left Wireless Settings and you will see the Mode settings
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Amaboknaai is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01276 Camberley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus RT-AC68U
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Sandi

What laptop is it and what type of wireless card does it have in it?
      When you try and connect, how are you doing so?
      When connecting to the wireless network, it should, on the first attempt, ask you to input the WPA - Personal (TKIP) code which IS CaSe SeNsItIvE and is the one underneath the router. If you are not being asked, you need to go into the wireless card's settings and configure a profile which will include the WPA passcode. Try again and post your results....

sandipv is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Amoboknaai,

I am using is an Acer 5673WLmi, with a built-in wireless card... WLAN: Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG network (dual-band tri-mode 802.11 a/b/g).

According to the technical support at sky, my wireless card needs to configured and i need to contact the manufacturer of the card, but i think that is absolute rubbish, this is a brand new laptop with the top-of-the-range wireless card. It should just work!!!

I have not tried changing the mode from b/ g/ to auto 108, i will try that and see how i get on... hopefully it makes a difference.

Amaboknaai is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01276 Camberley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus RT-AC68U
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Sandi

I have the same wirless card in my laptop and you can configure by using the Intel PRO/Set Wireless utility.

Open it up and select the SKY wireless connection.

Select the Profiles if you already have one created and in there you can insert the password under Security settings as WPA TKIP

LNB
      LNB is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Padgate LVPAD
      Broadband ISP: Connect at 5 per month
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      If those wonderful chappies at Acer have not installed the Intel wireless utility, it can be downloaded from here.
      Service recovery 02392 899292

You got 3 right!
      D'oh! Not good, dude.