Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sagem Router Problem

This is a discussion on Sagem Router Problem within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi Joined up a while ago but dont think I ever posted..! My Sagem router is becoming rather problematic of ...

WelshBoa is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Glantawe
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Sagem Router Problem

Hi

Joined up a while ago but dont think I ever posted..! My Sagem router is becoming rather problematic of late. I have always had good speeds on the line and its been reliable.

Its wired into a Vista desktop and I have the wireless connection to laptop. Recently the light keeps going Amber and I need to keep trying 'diagnose and repair'. The reset button on the modem no longer seems to be working and powering it off and on doesnt seem to achieve anything.

Sometimes it will say its a DNS problem, other times there is no lan connection although I know there is. Been reading a lot of the threads and will carry on doing so but wondered if there is anything I can do to tinker with it?

I am on Sky Max and have also noticed a drop in download speeds. Through GRABIT I used to regularly see download speeds of around 1500KB/s but now am lucky to peak at 900KB's.

If anyone has any suggestions or pointers that would be great.

Just reading another post I shouldnt turn the modem off if the dB levels are above 6.5?? Which they are at 7 something? Was trying to do my bit for the environment although I dont turn it off all that often anyway.
      Last edited by WelshBoa; 13-05-09 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Addition

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Sagem Router Problem

If you are getting an amber sync light then thats the reason for your issues, can you post your router stats please? (upstream, downstream, attenuation and SNR) and let us know where the router is plugged in.

Thanks

Router StatisticsSystem Up Time: 20:16:51

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 747377 1386071 0 0 0 18:59:07
      LAN 3631966 1954248 0 0 0 20:16:51
      WLAN 24930 10852 0 0 0 20:16:26
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 9287 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 27.0 db 12.4 db
      Noise Margin 13.3 db 15.5 db

Poll Interval: (secs)

Are those the figures you mean? Just took those now. Does that include the SNR? When you say how is it plugged in - its going into a direct telephone socket via the microfilter supplied?

Let me know if there is anything else - doesnt look like the SNR detail is there but not sure what that is or how to get it.

Thanks

Thanks

Your most recent test results
      Test taken
      (up to) Download
      Speed (Kbps) Upload
      Speed (Kbps)
      13 May, 2009 18:18:25 7520 Kbps 611 Kbps
      12 May, 2009 22:47:32 2112 Kbps 510 Kbps

Just did a speed test and had that which I think is above average?? The test from yesterday was done on the wireless connection which wouldnt expect to be as quick and I think I was downloading on the desktop at same time.

michael26uk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: haverhill
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

My Sagem router has started doing this in the last couple of weeks.
      Stats are still the same as they were but it just wont connect,lights flick between green and amber and says it's trying to connect.Turn off for a few minutes, sometimes comes back ok, sometimes only all 4 ethernet lights come on.
      After speaking to customer services for 20 mins they seem to think its a stuck update and suggested reflashing with firmware on cd.
      Now seems my cd is corrupt and have waited over a week for sky to send me another, so dont know if this is gonna work.Router came back for a few days and suddenly last night and today started playing up again!!!

Anyone got a link to sagem firmware please?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

doesnt look like the SNR detail is there but not sure what that is or how to get it
      The reference to SNR actually means the Noise Margin. Yours is quite high, which suggests your line has dropped at some point and has reconnected at a lower speed. The noise on the line has reduced, so your noise margin has risen. The actual speed will not rise until you reboot the router. If you reboot with that margin your speed will rise several Mbs. However the fact that your line dropped means you have problems on the line.

Please plug into the Test socket, link below, and take your stats from there. 9 times out of 10, noise problems are due to interference within your house. The Test socket isolates this and gives you a true possible speed. Post the results here.

By the way, doing a speed test when you are downloading, even on another PC is pointless, you must ensure that nothing else is using the internet. Wireless is always slower than ethernet, so you must use ethernet to get a true result. This does not apply to taking stats, where you can use wireless if it is more convenient.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

michael26uk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: haverhill
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Got a new router yesterday from sky and has been ok for 24 hours.....so fingers crossed this could be the solution, seems to be a router problem.

theboylard is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Great Oakley
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thumbs down Re: Sagem Router Problem

My Sagem has been doing the same for months now.

I phoned Customer Services on 18th May, went through their scripts and they said a stuck update etc. and promised a new router in 3-5 days. 10 mins after our conversation finished the router was back up again, happy days.

No new router from Sky.

Connection dropped again on Wednesday (27/5/09), gave up with it after 4 hours and went and did something less boring instead!

Got in from work on Thursday afternoon, logged on - checked the router stats and the router had been up for 10hrs, so reconnected around 4.45 am.
      Tried to download some bits on another pc in the house when the connection died.

Frustration got the better of me, got on the phone to Customer Services to find out where the new router was.
      "Yes sir, I can see that we said that a new router would be sent, but it appears that it wasn't ordered so we'll have to go through all the tests again so that we can order one, that will be with you in 3-5 days"

Can't you expedite it. I'm haveing to call in again because you dropped the ball, and now you're telling me that I have to wait another week?

No, let me speak to a Supervisor. I jumped through all your hoops 10 days ago, you have just admitted that Sky didn't do as they said they would so why should I have to do it all again because of Sky's incompetence?

I cannot stand poor customer service, the one chance that any company has to redeem itself with a customer is when they ring up to complain - sort it then and most folk are happy. **** it up and off they go, badmouthing to the world.

I Can't be doing with it, told them to shove it and got my mac instead and I'm off to o2.

According to Samknows I'm 596m from the exchange and my Sky Max Stats this evening are:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 14335 kbps 757 kbps
      Line Attenuation 26.5 db 29.6 db
      Noise Margin 8.6 db 8.5 db

theboylard is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Great Oakley
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well, I rang Sky again and spoke to a nice chap called Eric on Friday, who admitted that I'd been messed about and proceeded to put me through to Sarah.

She promised the earth - a new router would be delivered by Monday 8th June and she personally would call me at 16.30 on the Monday to check that all was well with the world.
      She would also leave a note for her manager to organise some credit by way of recompense for all the crap that Sky had put me through.

She also made an interesting comment:
      Sarah @Sky: How long have you had your router?
      Me: Since I signed up with Sky, so since December 07. Why?
      Sarah @Sky: Oh that should have been replaced ages ago, we don't expect them to last long.
      Me: *stunned silence*......er, should you really be telling customers that?!

Didn't have the heart to tell her or Eric that I'd used the MAC and would be on my way to o2 on Tuesday 9th.

Anyways, Monday came and went, no router, no phone call from the ever so nice Sarah - typical of the level of service I'd come to expect from Sky.

Customer service from 02 however, text and emails every step of the way - although the text telling me that the router had been sent was received as I took the router from postie

Text from 02 arrived about 10.30 on the Tuesday morning. Got in from work about 14.00 turned on router (had it plugged in Monday evening, including changing passwords and settings for my network) and ping, all done.
      Wife is happy too as the wireless signal is better so she doesn't have to sit in the lounge or use home plugs.

Oh, Sky router was dumped by the front door (no signature asked for) and call from another young lady at Sky asking how things were.
      She was really pleased that I was really happy with my new router, and that the wireless was stronger - she went strangely quiet though when I said no thanks to Sky as I was no longer on their network.
      She asked if I could send the routers back, I of course said yes.

But I would send them in the same tardy fashion that Sky had treated me and I'll also put a couple of bricks in the box so the weight will cost a fortune - hey, they supply a free post label.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You know that one of the routers belongs to you and you have no obligation to send it back?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast