Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Need Help connecting wirelessly to sky broadband!

This is a discussion on Need Help connecting wirelessly to sky broadband! within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I have already passed my activation date, and have all the lights and connections correct. I can connect to the ...

sandipv is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Need Help connecting wirelessly to sky broadband!

I have already passed my activation date, and have all the lights and connections correct. I can connect to the internet only by physical Ethernet cable.

However I wish to connect using the built-in wireless card on my laptop, it is a brand new laptop with the latest wireless technology so I cannot understand why I cannot connect wirelessly.

I spent nearly over an hour talking to sky technical support going through the router settings and changing the security encryption from WPA to WEP and using a WEP network key etc. Still no luck, I can keep on getting an error message saying "windows cannot connect to this network".

Please can anybody help me, sky have already said they cannot help me any further, and have advised me to purchase a USB dongle from them, I would however prefer to connect without paying for a USB dongle and losing a USB port to the dongle. The laptop I am using is an Acer 5673WLmi, with a built-in wireless card... WLAN: Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG network (dual-band tri-mode 802.11 a/b/g).

Any help on this will be much appreciated!

2. Advertisement
      dingdong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      did sky also tell you to change your TCP/IP properties to get auto ip address

sandipv is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

wirless connection problem

No, they did not mention anything on changing TCP-IP settings, just wirless settings on the router connection webpage from WPA to WEP

dingdong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I suggest you have a look at what the settings are on both tabs.

On your PC > Goto start > Connect To > Show All Connections

This should list your wireless adaptor

Select it . Right Mouse Click and select Properties

Look down the list and select TCP/IP then click properties. What are the settings on both tabs

Cyrus is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Streetly - CMSTRE
      Broadband ISP: Max, 15.3MB Downstream! B E A Utiful
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Take a quick look at the at router settings, mine came with someones MAC address in the access list stopping all but that particular MAC passing through the router, despite the product being sealed there were some settings still left active, probably from testing.

Good Luck.

Andrew_MK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky Netgear Router

Hi Sandi.

I had exactly the same problems were I couldn't run my wireless network as with my previous ISP I phoned up Sky, who were not only useless but actually had the cheek to lie to me in terms of being able to get out of the contract. Sky said they couldn't help me as I was using a Belkin Wireless adaptor and not the Netgear one they support. I tried the auto IP configure, it didn't work. I went out and bought the Netgear WG111T adaptor that Sky sell, still the wireless network wouldn't work. I even did the firmware upgrade recommended on this site and that didn't work (it upgraded the router and provided my ADSL password and username which I then tried on a router I know to work, so no problems with the advice on here I am glad to say). I phone up Sky to cancel my broadband. The customer service agent (laugh) said I had been treated shabbily and then hastened to add that I couldn't cancel as I was tied into a 12 month contract. I reminded the agent that Sky had only activated me 4 days (I told him this at the beginning of the conversation) earlier and there is in fact an 8 day cooling off period. The customer service guy ummed and arrghed before saying yes I suppose your right. He then said I need to email Sky Broadband customer services to cancel and gave me the email address. Guess what, the email address didn't work. I phoned up again a few hours later and spoke to another customer service chap who said the reason the email was rejected was due to the high volume of cancellation emails they were recieveing. Hopefully Sky have now actually cancelled my broadband and soon I will be able to start again with a new ISP. I have deciced to go with Zen Internet. My advice - either AVOID SKY BROADBAND like the plague or cancel as quickly as possible if you want to successfully run a wireless network.