Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sick of sky / router!!

This is a discussion on Sick of sky / router!! within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hey all. I'm not even sure if you guys can help, but I've had it up to my eyeballs with ...

dunk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01299
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sick of sky / router!!

Hey all. I'm not even sure if you guys can help, but I've had it up to my eyeballs with this POS router!

I've got a Sagem router, that seems to work when it wants. The wireless almost refuses to work, especially with any form of secuirty enabled, I have tried changing channels manually, no change. Oh and my current speed test results are around 0.2Mbs! Which is nice

I actually work for an ISP doing Tech Support, but wonder if I'm just missing something obvious!

I've swapped filters, removed everything from the line, etc etc...

Anything?

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Re: Sick of sky / router!!

Have you tried all channels? Is anything near the router, are you putting the network key in using all caps and no numbers?
      As to your speed, post your router stats, make sure you are in your main socket if possible with not extensions in play. If you have a test socket post a set of comparrison stats from there to.

dunk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01299
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

I've not tried all channels, but I have used NetStumbler and there are 2 other WLANs in my area, 1 on channel 6 and the other on channel 9. I've tried 13,12,11,10,1 & 2. This has made very little difference, it might work for a little while, but then it dies. There's no other gear kicking around, and yeah, I'm typing in the key correctly

It's already plugged into the main socket, not tried the test, but will give that a crack, I've also disconnected the sky box and phone from the line, just as a test. See if it picks up while I'm at work.

Cheers

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

If it is wireless interference that is the problem then unplugging the phones etc won't help (unless they are wireless DECT ones).

What happens if you connect via ethernet? does this sort it?

It may not be another wireless router causing the interference, it could be anything from a wireless alarm to a wireless thermostat on a boiler, there was one guy who lost it when the microwave was in use.

Best bet would be to use a couple of homeplugs, you can also get wireless extender ones if you want to use a laptop.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

As Smithy99 said lots of things use the 2.4 GHz band, I have 8 wireless devices in the house and I don't use wi-fi at all.

To be honest the days of decent wireless connection have now passed, helped by ISP's handing out wireless routers willy nilly

As suggested homeplugs are the way to go, they simplify the whole connection process and aren't that expensive.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!