Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

HP MediaSmart - Cannot get remote access!!!!!

This is a discussion on HP MediaSmart - Cannot get remote access!!!!! within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi all, Got an HP Media Smart Home Server - works perfectly in the house - but one of the ...

accountancyboy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01382
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

HP MediaSmart - Cannot get remote access!!!!!

Hi all,

Got an HP Media Smart Home Server - works perfectly in the house - but one of the big attractions is remote use - i.e being able to access the Home Server from anywhere

The issue appears to be that the UPNP which should forward the ports required (80,443,4125) does not work - a colleague suggested these may be blocked from incoming requests on my router (Sky Broadband, DG934G, Firmware 2.02.44(is this up to date?))

I have taken various steps including disabling / reenabling UPNP, trying to manually forward ports, open up DMZ to allow all ports to be accessed etc (not an expert though, just guessing)

Anyone have any ideas about how this could be resolved? Am basically clueless regarding networks etc, trying to scrape an answer together, have tried every help site in the universe!

Could it be to do with dynamic IP rather than static IP?
      A friend has one and set it up in 10 mins - but he does have a fixed IP (he is with Telewest rather than Sky)

Any ideas welcome - sick of trying the same things I have been reading on 100 different sites- they dont seem to work!
      Maybe just need a different router - someone has told me DG934G strugles with UPNP/port forwarding

Thanks in advance

2. Advertisement
      mccann85 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Waterlooville
      Broadband ISP: BE & O2
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: HP MediaSmart - Cannot get remote access!!!!!

On mine I'm just using DMZ and it works great just set up a satic ip on your server then set DMZ to that IP

accountancyboy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01382
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Cheers mcclaw

HOw do i go about setting up a static IP on my server?

I have (I think!!) set the DMZ to 192.168.02 - where do i need to enter this static IP?

mccann85 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Waterlooville
      Broadband ISP: BE & O2
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

DMZ needs to point your server.
      I am able to use "Remote Desktop Connection" to access my server however mine is a custom build.
      Try downloading an add-in called Advanced Admin Console (Add-In: Advanced Admin Console MS Windows Home Server or Downloads | Andreas M's Windows Home Server AddIns) copy the .msi file to \\SERVER\Software\Add-Ins then from the Windows Home Server Console click settings > Add-ins > Available You should see Advanced Admin Console Addin click install then you'll need to relog in to the Windows Home Server Console. You should then see Advanced Admin Console across the top then you should be able to change the IP address of the WHS to something not in range of your routers DHCP then set the DMZ to that IP address.

Thats what works for me