Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

DG834GT Lockups..

This is a discussion on DG834GT Lockups.. within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; OK, ive started to have a few problems thats really limiting my net access, just as i get my connection ...

VsUK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01709
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Media 50mb
      Router: Virgin Superhub
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Question DG834GT Lockups..

OK, ive started to have a few problems thats really limiting my net access, just as i get my connection fixed my router starts playing up

Anyways, I use 2 computers with Linksys WUSB54G adapters that work fine. However at random times, could be hours, days or week gaps that my router will stop responding & dosnt even show up in my SSID list or routers, i see my neighbors & my mother in laws up the road but not mine & the only fix is a unplug & replug power connector.

Also sometimes our net just stops working completely. Still says were connected but theres no net connection, i try & repair & for 5 seconds says its limited or no connectivity & then goes back to the normal single blue screen. I try re connecting with the password & says its connected but nothing. Only fix is unplug the USB device & it connects back up again.

The third problem is, when logged in to the router & click Attached Devices, it causes the problem above. I lose all connectivity on the pc, but here is the strange thing. With both problems 1 pc loses the net, even though its connected but the other still works fine, however when i resolve the problem my other pc does the exact same till i resolve that to & then its just a matter of time before it happens again.

Ive checked USB ports, Wireless Channels (No1 uses same chan as me) The problem still happens even with windows xp wireless configuration. I'm thinking the router is starting to pack up on me but or something & with the problems i read about sky providing a replacement one & there refusal to give any help & risk your service using one they didnt provide i hope its not..

Small edit.. I do have UPnP Disabled from the start..

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: DG834GT Lockups..

Wireless Channels (No1 uses same chan as me)
      You can still get interference from an adjacent channel. Wireless channels overlap, so you should look for one with as much separation as possible from those you can see. No 13 is usually a good bet as many listen to ISPs and set theirs to 1,6,or 11.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      You can still get interference from an adjacent channel. Wireless channels overlap, so you should look for one with as much separation as possible from those you can see. No 13 is usually a good bet as many listen to ISPs and set theirs to 1,6,or 11.
      Yep, way ahead of you i usually have mine on 13 & the closest one is 8. Its been fine on the same channel for ages & then for the passed 2 weeks its just been cutting off, like in the middle of playing WoW, Eve Online & other online games or movie streams..

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

What Wireless Manager are you using? If you are using the adapter manufacturers, try swapping to Windows and vice-versa.

The trouble is that every day more people start using wireless, which causes more interference. If your adapter supports it, try downloading Netstumbler (link below) see if that shows up any more networks which may interfere.

For gaming especially, you can't beat a wired connection, using Homeplugs if necessary.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Netstumbler showed up exactly what my connection manager showed. Windows wireless connection shows less.

The Signal/noise dbm shows all the others around -70 & -80. Mine shows -50 right at the top of the scale.. so clearly nothing to close that can cause problems..