Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Router Setting Query (Sagem)

This is a discussion on Router Setting Query (Sagem) within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi I'm new to this so gently gently! My family home has recently changed from AOL to Sky BB and ...

garpy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Unhappy Router Setting Query (Sagem)

Hi I'm new to this so gently gently!

My family home has recently changed from AOL to Sky BB and I've been experiencing a lot of difficulties connecting to the wireless from my mac. When I switch on my computer, airport cannot see my SSID and so will not connect automatically (or manually). When I finally do get a connection (and I can honestly say I dont know under what circumstances this happens - sometimes by being close to the router, sometimes it just corrects itself) the signal strength fluctuates continually - sometimes airport displays no bars of signal and yet I'm still connected to the internet - and frequently drops the connection.

I'm convinced that the problem is not with my mac - I have never had a single other problem with airport and wireless networks, either when previously on AOL, nor on virgin adsl at term-time address, nor on virgin cable at my partner's address or even on my friend's BB which is also sky! This only happens when I come home and I'm pretty fed up of it.

I suspect that the fault lies with the router but I haven't a clue what the problem could be, so any ideas?? It is in exactly the same position as the Netgear DG834g that I used to use for AOL, which worked fine so don't think it's interference. I've also had a look on the router settings page and noted that on the wireless setup bit on the right-hand side it says:

'Mode

Sky have set the default as '_g&b_' to provide the most flexibility. As such you should not need to change this. The options are:

54g Auto - Set the mode to 54g Auto for the widest compatibility.
      54g Performance - Set the mode to 54g Performance for the fastest performance among 54g certified equipment.
      54g LRS - Set the mode to 54g-LRS (Limited Rate Support) allows some older 802.1b clients to be compatible with this wireless AP.
      802.11b only - Set the mode to 802.1b only if you are having difficulty connecting to this wireless AP. This will ensure you are connecting to 802.11b devices only.'

But on the left, where you can edit these settings, the mode is set to '54g auto' and there is no option to change it to '_g&b_' - does this mean there's a fault with the router?

Thanks in advance!
      Last edited by garpy; 06-04-09 at 12:44 PM.

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Re: Router Setting Query (Sagem)

What channel is it on?

garpy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

It was set to auto and changed it this morning to 11 (what the previous netgear used to use) but yet to see if this has cleared anything up as the consistency of the connection is unpredictable (i.e. it might be stable right now because its decided to be and will go again at some point, or it might be stable right now due to the channel change).

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Using your computer's wireless adapter utilities scan for other wifi networks in the area -- and try to select a channel for the router which is five stops from strongest neighbour.

Relocate cordless phone base or video sender away from computer or router.