Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Fluctuating noise margin

This is a discussion on Fluctuating noise margin within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, first post (woo!), great site guys, helped me loads! Just thought i would set this thread up for some ...

pijh is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Fluctuating noise margin

Hi,

first post (woo!), great site guys, helped me loads!

Just thought i would set this thread up for some help with my connection. I use it mainly for gaming. While researching my poor ping and connection while playing online games i came accross the "max delays" subject.

After contacting Sky i had my Max Delays reduced to 8. all good. i thought this would help dramatically, it did not! Nothing changed at all. so i let them know and they improved my connection by increasing my upload speed. still no change in gaming.

after more research i started monitoring my noise margin. I have been rebooting the router at peak times the last few days and the noise margin will just not stick at a good number. I get it about 7dbs then it just moves down to 5db (lose my PSN connection) then back up to 7 or 8dbs.

help me please!!

2. Advertisement
      Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Fluctuating noise margin

Sounds like there could be some noise on your line, first thing would be to post your line stats from the router.
      You could also try the router plugged directly into the test socket if you have one.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 7893 9699 0 818 4663 00:32:59
      LAN 100M/Full 579 0 0 44 0 00:34:32
      WLAN 11M/54M 10044 8746 0 4578 841 00:34:20
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 10973 kbps 620 kbps
      Line Attenuation 38 db 21 db
      Noise Margin 7 db 10 db

i dont have a test socket either, sorry.

Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

Looking at your stats, the upstream speed is not correct if you ring sky after 10.30pm from what i have read on the forum and get through to CST and they can correct the upstream it should be 768Kbps or some where near this.

Next is there any noise on the line when you pick up the phone, hiss pop etc. If there is any of this then that could the problem, you would need to phone BT and log a voice line fault. "Noise on the line" but don't say anything about broadband.

You should go around all of the phone sockets in the house and make sure that only wires on terminal 2 and 5 are connected.

Hope this info is some use.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You are syncing at a pretty good speed for your attenuation but you may have one of those lines which does not handle ADSL2+ very well. Reducing your Max delay would unstabilise the line even further.

Try Andy's suggestion about disconnecting the ring wire from Terminal 3, I think you only need to disconnect at the Master socket, this isolates it from all the other sockets.

If this does not help, try getting back to Sky and ask them if they will cap your line slightly. Half a Mb off your download speed could make all the difference and would hardly be noticed. If you had a Version 1 GT router you could do this yourself, but unfortunately you can't with the newer models.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I received and email from Sky saying the following:

We have made changes to your configuration. Your download speed is now 11mbps and your upload speed has been changed to 704kbps from 416kbps. You should find that this helps, however this is the maximum attainable therefore if you find you have any issues with your connection please let us know. It would be helpful if you monitor this for 72 hours and give us as much information of any symptoms you may have if you do need to contact us regarding this.

that could explain my upstream?

There doesn't seem to be any noise on the phone line, i picked the phone up and all sounded normal to be honest.

The house is a new-build, therefore there is actually only 1 phone socket in the whole house. it isn't a bulky access point like shown in some diagrams around the forums. just a flat basic one slot phone line...?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Ask them if they can reduce your download a little bit more, as your line is not stable. You would be bettter with a 10 Mb stable line than a 11Mb one that is always dropping out.This may even allow your upload to be increased. Get back to them before the 3 days are up or you will have to join the queue and go through all the testing again.

If you have no extensions don't worry about removing any wires.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.