Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Changing the "default" router

This is a discussion on Changing the "default" router within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hello everyone, Ive read a few posts on here, from people asking how to change from the default "Netgear DG834GT" ...

Drakob is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Changing the "default" router

Hello everyone,

Ive read a few posts on here, from people asking how to change from the default "Netgear DG834GT" router to a new one.
      I spoke to Sky on how to do this and they said obviously, it 'can' be done, but the member of tech support said "but then again, you can hack the pentagon".
      I do hope this won't be on the same level, as one would assume that is fairly hard.

Normally, I would ask my son how to do this since he has lots of qualifications, and a degree with computers, but hes away for the next 2 months and I want this done now...

If you can help guys, how do you "break in" to the router to get the Sky information inside? When I got the new router, I managed to set it up etc, but when I connected it it asked for all these fiddly little details.
      I managed to get most of them from the old router, but I need the:
      Sky login information
      Connection type (ViMax or IIC thingy).

Any chance any of you guys can help.

Oh, when I spoke to the tech support man on the phone, I asked him about this (as previously stated) and he said that it's OK to do, but obviously they can't provide tech support for it etc.

Thanks alot in advance everyone

-Drakob.

2. Advertisement
      bakb0ne is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01452
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Re: Changing the "default" router

Quote Originally Posted by Drakob View Post
      Hello everyone,

Ive read a few posts on here, from people asking how to change from the default "Netgear DG834GT" router to a new one.
      I spoke to Sky on how to do this and they said obviously, it 'can' be done, but the member of tech support said "but then again, you can hack the pentagon".
      I do hope this won't be on the same level, as one would assume that is fairly hard.

Normally, I would ask my son how to do this since he has lots of qualifications, and a degree with computers, but hes away for the next 2 months and I want this done now...

If you can help guys, how do you "break in" to the router to get the Sky information inside? When I got the new router, I managed to set it up etc, but when I connected it it asked for all these fiddly little details.
      I managed to get most of them from the old router, but I need the:
      Sky login information
      Connection type (ViMax or IIC thingy).

Any chance any of you guys can help.

Oh, when I spoke to the tech support man on the phone, I asked him about this (as previously stated) and he said that it's OK to do, but obviously they can't provide tech support for it etc.

Thanks alot in advance everyone

-Drakob.
      goto https://www.cm9.net/skypass/ and follow instructions on getting your login details.

altis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Thanks

I've just had a go at this with mixed success.

After getting nowhere with the complete setup I switched to using just the DSL modem (D-Link DSL-300T). I popped in the username and password as collected from the site above and left all the other settings as default. It connected no problem.

Then I turned its DHCP server off, switched it to bridge mode and saved the settings. Then I connected my router (Netgear FWG114P), set it for PPPoE and typed in the username and password. No dice!

I've had several goes at typing in the details, upper and lower case, but have got nowhere. Any ideas?

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Sky uses PPPoA, so oE won't work...just plug the router in with ethernet and leave it at that...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      Sky uses PPPoA, so oE won't work...just plug the router in with ethernet and leave it at that...
      Trouble is the modem screws the VPN traffic from the router - at least it did when I tried this setup on another connection some time ago. The only way I could get it to work was to switch the modem into bridge mode and configure the connection on the router. On this there is no PPPoA option.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Where are you connecting your router to? You should just be able to plug it's WAN port into the modem and that's it. Use the smart wizard to set it up. The username and password are already set up in the modem so there is no need to put them in the router.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I would have done it that way but the last time I tried this (some time ago and not on Sky) the setup did not work correctly. Although the PC had access to the internet and the router managed to set up a VPN tunnel, as soon as there was any VPN traffic the thing just locked up.

After much pulling of hair and long phone calls to both Netgear and D-Link support I eventually found a configuration that worked. With the modem set to 'bridge' mode it just behaves as a simple modem and doesn't start playing with the traffic. This technique obviously requires you to configure the username and password in the router instead.

My router only understands PPPoE (and some other proprietary configurations). This works elsewhere on A.N.Other ISP running over BT Wholesale but it seems this may be a problem with Sky.

I may be looking for a Draytek Vigor 100 modem instead.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Is there any reason why you are using the Dlink in preference to the Sky router (apart from the print server) if you have the DG934, it can handle VPN fairly easily. The Sagem is a different storey. It should be possible to connect your router via an ethernet port on the Sky router to allow you to use it's facilities, while using the Sky router to enable your VPN.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Can the DG934 actually terminate a VPN tunnel rather than just pass it through? I couldn't find anything in the menu about this and this is 'necessary' for my application. If it will then I shall be happy to use it.

I haven't yet tried to chain both routers. After my experiences with the DSL-300T I have the feeling that this won't work - but I could be wrong.

Drakob is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Wow, thanks alot for the responses everyone.
      Most helpful