Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help on getting internet on both my computers with one router!!!!!!

This is a discussion on Help on getting internet on both my computers with one router!!!!!! within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; i have been using internet on one of my computers for ages now. recently i have got a new computer ...

shajul is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0121.......
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Exclamation Help on getting internet on both my computers with one router!!!!!!

i have been using internet on one of my computers for ages now. recently i have got a new computer and want to get internet on it.

ok then, this is how i have setup my internet onto my old computer which is working fine till this day.

My ADSL filter is connected to the master socket.
      my phone line is connected to the ADSL filter.
      my internet wire is connected to the ADSL filter.
      my router has power of course.
      and my 20 metre ethernet cable is conneced to my computer and my router.

I figured that all i had to do was connect another ethernet cable from my computer to my routher in the other port provided on the router. ( there are four ports).

but once i tried to use internet on the computer the page could not be displayed. all the lights were flashing on the router but internet still did not come.

i used my new ethernet cable on my old computer and internet still worked meaning it is not the wires.

so what should i do?!?!?!?!?

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Re: Help on getting internet on both my computers with one router!!!!!!

First of all check the LAN port on the other pc is working ,also check in Internet explorer, tools, internet options, Connections, that there is nothing in the dial up box or on the LAN settings screen.
      Also check what IP the PC is set to use in case it's not on auto acquire.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I take it your new PC is running Vista? If so, click Start>Control Panel>Network and Sharing Centre. In the main pane, check that you are set for a Private network. If it is not click Customize and make it so.

Next, under Sharing and Discovery, check that Network Discovery is on, if it is not, turn it on.

Give it a couple of minutes and if it still does not connect, click Set up a network connection in the left pane. Choose 'Connect to the internet....' Follow the Wizard.

There is no need to post in red underline, it actually makes it more difficult to read your post.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Exclamation Re: Help on getting internet on both my computers with one router!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I take it your new PC is running Vista? If so, click Start>Control Panel>Network and Sharing Centre. In the main pane, check that you are set for a Private network. If it is not click Customize and make it so.

Next, under Sharing and Discovery, check that Network Discovery is on, if it is not, turn it on.

Give it a couple of minutes and if it still does not connect, click Set up a network connection in the left pane. Choose 'Connect to the internet....' Follow the Wizard.

There is no need to post in red underline, it actually makes it more difficult to read your post.

lol unfortunately my computer is not running wista. i am still on windows xp. Sorry about the underlining and font colour. i am only 15

so could you please give me some advise which relates to windows xp. thanks

penrhyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

Go to the [Start] menu and open the [Control Panel].
      Open the [Network Connections] control panel (you may first need to open the [Network and Internet Connections] category.)
      Look for your Local Area Connection.
      If its disabled then right click select properties and enable it.

Thanks

Exclamation Re: Help on getting internet on both my computers with one router!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by penrhyn View Post
      Go to the [Start] menu and open the [Control Panel].
      Open the [Network Connections] control panel (you may first need to open the [Network and Internet Connections] category.)
      Look for your Local Area Connection.
      If its disabled then right click select properties and enable it.
      i did exactly that but when i went there,there was no type of connection there at all.
      When i did what you said above on my current computer, i found a local area connection which im guessing is what i use to get internet at the moment

Thanks

It looks like your NIC is not enabled. Go to the Device Manager, expand the Network Adapters section and check if the drivers are installed properly. You may see it as soon as you open the Device Manager as it will be yellow or red flagged. Let us know what you see.

EDIT: It is possible the network card is not enabled in your BIOS, in which case it will not show in the Device Manager. If this is the case, go into the BIOS, find the entry for the Network card and enable it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

It looks like your NIC is not enabled. Go to the Device Manager, expand the Network Adapters section and check if the drivers are installed properly. You may see it as soon as you open the Device Manager as it will be yellow or red flagged. Let us know what you see.

EDIT: It is possible the network card is not enabled in your BIOS, in which case it will not show in the Device Manager. If this is the case, go into the BIOS, find the entry for the Network card and enable it.
      what i see is a yellow question mark icon next to the words 'ethernet controller'
      i also see it next to 'video controller' and 'audio controller'. im guessing that my problem is to do with my 'ethernet controller' so what do you think i should do to proceed?

Thanks

It looks like you need to install al the drivers for your PC. Download and install this application, it will give you the exact name and model number for your hardware..
      |MG| EVEREST Free Edition 2.20

When you have these, do a search on the hardware manufacturers site for the drivers you require. You will need the drivers for graphics, sound and ethernet controller and you will possibly need the chipset drivers.

If your machine is made by one of the manufacturers like Dell, HP, Mesh etc, you can do a search on their site for the drivers for the Model number of your PC. This is often quicker and easier than searching individually. If it came with a driver disk, put that in and run it.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

It looks like you need to install al the drivers for your PC. Download and install this application, it will give you the exact name and model number for your hardware..
      |MG| EVEREST Free Edition 2.20

When you have these, do a search on the hardware manufacturers site for the drivers you require. You will need the drivers for graphics, sound and ethernet controller and you will possibly need the chipset drivers.

If your machine is made by one of the manufacturers like Dell, HP, Mesh etc, you can do a search on their site for the drivers for the Model number of your PC. This is often quicker and easier than searching individually. If it came with a driver disk, put that in and run it.
      my LAN driver is 'intel 82801DB ICH4- LAN controller with 82562EM/ex PHY
      my audio controller is called 'intel 82801DB - AC'97 Audio controller [ A-1 ]

i cant seem to find the driver updates for these onlnine.. could you please suggest something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast