Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Changing from sky netgear router to belkin

This is a discussion on Changing from sky netgear router to belkin within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; i understand that changing my router is breaking the terms and conditions but i just wanted to see if i ...

stalkus is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01992
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Changing from sky netgear router to belkin

i understand that changing my router is breaking the terms and conditions but i just wanted to see if i could get a better networking speed using a belkin 1gb adsl modem and router. unfortunately i am having problems setting up the belkin router as it will not connect to the internet as the settings are incorrect.
      i have run the router password and username generator. so i have a password for my netgear router. i just wanted to check some settings the vpi is 0 and vci is 38 according to the setiings within my router but in what format llc ?
      i am getting a bit tired now as ive tried about 5 times with different settings and im still not sure if the password generator has done its job. can anyone help please as to what i should be doing to set up anew router.

2. Advertisement
      legoman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Derby - EMDRRBB
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: Changing from sky netgear router to belkin

You need to be in VC (-Mux) mode, at 1500 MTU's on PPPoA.

I've been using my own router for over a year now, and Sky don't have a problem with my set up, only that when I need tech support I have to plug their router in, otherwise they get a little funny.

Hope this helps,

Dave

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by legoman View Post
      Sky don't have a problem with my set up
      Have you asked them?

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

You need to be in VC (-Mux) mode, at 1500 MTU's on PPPoA.

I've been using my own router for over a year now, and Sky don't have a problem with my set up, only that when I need tech support I have to plug their router in, otherwise they get a little funny.

Hope this helps,

Dave
      mate, you'll get cut off - simple as that!!!

anyone telling you otherwise is mistaken - you're in blatant breech of the rules you signed up for...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

I've never kept it a secret from them!

I've declared it to just about every techie through all tiers - I'm having major problems with my line right now, which is making my connection very unstable, and I'm on the phone to them most days (3 weeks now).

There's no legal reason for them to cut me off - in fact, legally Sky (or any ISP) cannot make anyone use their own equipment, regardless of T+C's.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Thanks

There's no legal reason for them to cut me off - in fact, legally Sky (or any ISP) cannot make anyone use their own equipment, regardless of T+C's.
      Of course they can, they do not have to let you on their equipment if you breach the T&C's that you signed up for.

Why would you think otherwise, they specifically tell you that you must use the equipment they supply to use their servcie, if you don't they have every right to withdraw their service until you do.

Thanks

They haven't so far... If they do, they're not the only ISP or Digital TV service...

I hope I'm not coming across badly, was just saying that I've been dealing with the Sky CST etc and they've never said that it's a problem, but they do need to be able to "see" the Sky router for line tests etc.

I spent 2 hours one night swapping the two over and over in order to see what was going on, and the general consensus from Sky (and the guy was dipping off to talk to other people in the Dept) was that my router was actually handling the problems better than the Sky router.

Thanks

Well, I hope for the agents in CST's sake none of them have a review on their calls as they'll probabably face disciplinary action for allowing you to continue - personally, I'd refuse you support...and we can check vendor IDs so you couldn't try and hide the fact you had the Sky one plugged in either (even though you've been honest)...

what's the point in having T&C's if no one bothers to enforce them??

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Don't get me wrong, I would never put someone's job on the line because I have a problem with the equipment supplied - if it was going to cause issues between myself and the person helping me, I will insist upon going back to the Sky router.

Obviously, mine will go back on afterwards, but the telephone conversation recorder won't be able to record that! The people on the shop floor aren't responsible for the equipment the end user has - management shouldn't penalise them for something they have no control over; I wouldn't, regardless of policy.

I do apologise if I offend, but I stand by the fact that I've taken receipt of 2 routers from Sky, and they're both substandard. One techie estimated that the chance of this is <1%, but then let slip that the new V2 black routers have been known to be shipped without Firmware regularly, which is probably what's wrong with mine, and the reason for a 3rd when it arrives.

Thanks

You didn't offend I'm just saying the agents were risking their jobs by helping you without the Sky router in place...

Now, as not being shipped with FW, this is rubbish - ONLY way that'd happen is if you got just the router unit itself sent to you without the CDs/cables etc. as the FW is on the CD...and all the router have the FW on them - if they didn't they wouldn't work full stop!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast