Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Yet another port forwarding query!

This is a discussion on Yet another port forwarding query! within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hello, I have been lurking around this site for a while and found it very useful. I'm now hoping that ...

anniep is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Churchtown
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD Box
      Thanks

Yet another port forwarding query!

Hello,

I have been lurking around this site for a while and found it very useful. I'm now hoping that someone can help me with my specific problem.

Please bear with me because I am completely non-technical and although I'm willing to try all sorts of things with my computer, I don't really understand what I'm doing half the time! For that reason, if you are able to help me, please use layman's terms and mainly words of one syllable!

I have been on Sky BB since last November and have the Sagem router. All has been going swimmingly and thus far, no problems with the BB or the router. I bought a new computer at the same time as I changed my ISP and it has Vista64 Home Premium as the OS. In order to use BitComet for downloads, I followed this site's instructions to the letter and forwarded port 25042. It all worked a treat and I was well pleased with myself! Within the last month, BitComet has started showing that port as blocked all the time and although I can download, it's mostly very slow. By the way, this computer is connected to the router with the ethernet cable.

Now, my other computer which is in the same room, connects to the internet via a Sweex wireless dongle. When I run the same version of BitComet with the same settings on that computer, the port is not blocked and downloads at a very healthy speed. That computer has WinXP service pack 3 running and I have never tried to port forward from that machine. It just works. I've used canyouseeme.org and ShieldsUp on both machines and I'm told that they are both very secure and no ports are open???????????

I'm flummoxed by this and can't find any solutions on the internet at all, no-one else seems to have had a similar problem. I know that I can use the other computer for my downloads but it would be nice to be able to use my main machine and it used to work perfectly.

Anyone have a clue what's going on?

Ann

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Yet another port forwarding query!

Sounds like you have the rule setup for just one PC and you may not be able to open the same ports and then forward to both PCs

Do the exact same again, but with the other PC's IP address

ie

1) If the port on PC1 is 3456 then forward port 3456 to that PC's IP address ie 192.168.0.3

2) Do another rule for PC2 port 7890 and then forward to PC2's IP address ie 192.168.0.4

3) Remember to make sure the port number is set the same as 2) in the torrent application on PC2

Does that make sense?

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Thanks

I vaguely sort of understand what you're saying but I did the port forwarding on PC1 which is my main machine, running Vista, and it worked perfectly for months. I didn't set anything up on PC2, running XP, at all but it has always worked without a hitch. Incidentally, I don't have them running at the same time. Usually PC2 remains switched off and to be honest, I don't want to try altering anything on that machine because it's fine as it is. I don't understand why my Vista PC always shows port 25042 blocked now when it never did before and I haven't altered any settings anywhere. Do you think it could have anything to do with Vista?

I'm sorry if I don't seem to know what I'm talking about but all this is quite new to me. I only ever used to have a modem and never had to do anything technical with that.

Thanks for your time.

Ann

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quite simply.

One PC has an IP and the other PC has an IP - It sounds like you maybe have not setup both of them to use static IPs and so PC2 is using the same IP as PC1 used to use.

Therefore, because the rules are setup only to forward the relevant ports to 1 PC then the program cannot work or forward the ports to both PCs at either time.

A good way around this would be to assign static IPs for each PC, then no matter what happens, or what order those 2 PCs are switched on, then they will always have the same IP and the corresponding rules in the router. That way both PCs should work on the torrent program at any one time.

I can do you a walk through if you need it, or give it a go yourself. If you get stuck just ask.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Thanks

Thanks for your explanation and help Newsreader and I think I understand exactly what you are meaning. I'll have a go, probably tomorrow, and if I get in a mess, I'll be back. Everything is simple when you know it but can be mind-boggling when you don't.

I tried downloading something on my main PC today and was actually getting a speed of between 335 and 343kB/s which is about the fastest I've ever had anyway. That was with the listen port blocked so do you reckon I'd get any faster a speed with it open?

Thanks again

Ann

Thanks

Well, I tried and guess what, it worked. I went in and deleted the rule I had set up on the Vista machine (PC1) and then set up a static IP address following instructions on PortForward.com. I went back and followed this site's port forwarding instructions and voila! I could have sworn that I went through the static IP address procedure before because it all looked quite familiar but never mind, I've got a green light now! I haven't switched PC2 on yet so I guess I'll have to go through it all again over there but not to worry, I think I'm fairly confident now.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction Newsreader, I'm really grateful.

Ann

Thanks
      Blog Entries

No problems as long as you are sorted

Thanks

Aaaarrrrggghhh!! It's happened again. I went through the whole procedure again with PC2, assigned a different static IP address than PC1's and a different listen port number than PC1's and it worked beautifully. Now I have a blocked listen port on PC1 again, yellow light again on BitComet but PC2 works fine, green light, no blockage.

It surely can't be to do with the router, Sky or firewalls or my amateur setting up procedures because it works perfectly on the other computer. The only difference between the two machines is the OS, one Vista64, one Win XP. The static IP addresses are definitely different on the two machines as is the listen port.

Help anyone???

Ann

Thanks

I'm not really thick honestly! Problem solved. The reason it happened again was because when I went through the procedure again on my second computer, I deleted the rule I had already set up instead of setting up an ADDITIONAL rule. I worked that out all by myself!

Now I have it sussed and everything is O.K. I just hope my amateur dabbling experiences assist someone else in the who is in the same confused state as I was!

Ann