Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

MacBook wifi stopped connecting to v2 router

This is a discussion on MacBook wifi stopped connecting to v2 router within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; As of today, my MacBook refuses to connect to my v2 Netgear router via wifi. It has been working perfectly ...

DCK82 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

MacBook wifi stopped connecting to v2 router

As of today, my MacBook refuses to connect to my v2 Netgear router via wifi. It has been working perfectly for the past couple months. I'm currently forced to connect to the router by ethernet cable.

My iPhone is still able to connect to the router, as is my Vaio laptop, but nothing with the MacBook, just getting a connection timed out message.

Any ideas what's going on? My only guess just now is that maybe the router updated it's firmware by itself during the night and this has caused the issue. Of course that's just speculation at the moment, but that's all I've got.

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: MacBook wifi stopped connecting to v2 router

Has there been a thread about updates to the V2 router ? If not it probably won't be that.

With wireless always check reception issues -- see if there's a new wifi network in the neighbourhood that's within 5 channels of yours and move channel if it's strong enough to warrant that.

Other than that, just check that the MacBook's wireless security settings match those of the router and the other devices.

macbeth is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

If you go into the airport what colour is the dot, red amber or green. Go to system preferences and then network.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by macbeth View Post
      If you go into the airport what colour is the dot, red amber or green. Go to system preferences and then network.
      The dot is amber, ie. Airport is on, but not connected to any wifi network.

I'll try changing the wireless channel on the router, but I don't think that'll make a difference as everything else is connecting to the router as normal. Reception has never been an issue and I live in a block of flats with at least 6 other wireless networks visible.

Have triple checked the wireless security settings on the MacBook just to rule that out.

I have a spare router, I'll hook it up and see if the MacBook is able to connect to that.

katilea is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky plus with Broadband
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Hi

I'm new here, also having issues after my Macbook worked fine until 2 days ago. my old iBook is still online as soon as I start it up and can get websites. The router is connected via ethernet to my iMac in the office.

I dont tknow what version it is, it is a white one and just says netgear on back with channel, network and key on a sticker.

I tried connecting macbook to ethernet to download software update that was meant to fix connection timeout problem but it is still doing it.

At first it was showing as connected after another reboot although I couldn't actually load any web pages, i closed lid to come on desktop and tell you and when i opened it again it first showed airport as self assigned IP and showed as online then went back to been on but not connected to any network!

Then a box pops up with a list of all networks in my area including mine but top of box says 'none of your preferred networks are available' but lists them all!!

under network name where you turn airport on and off in network settings it now says no network selected and none are listed in that drop down menu, a minute ago when it was showing as connected my network was showing there.

Anyone any ideas whats going on?

The location says 'automatic'

Thanks

Kati

Exchange:
      Thanks

Mine has been fine for a while now. I think what helped solve this problem at the time, was to click on the Airport icon in the Menu bar at the top and choose "Join Other Network" then I just re-entered my wireless details again there.

You might need to first go to "Open Network Preferences", then "Advanced", and delete all Preferred Networks from the list. Then do as above.

katilea is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky plus with Broadband
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

I have tried those things too and also switching channels it worked on channel 12 for few days but then this morning it couldnt connect so had to come on desktop to try changing channels again, 13 wasnt responding so went back to 6 and that seems to be working even though no IP address etc is showing when i log into router.

I tried deleting the preferred networks, click the lock to save changes but after laptop has restarted the preferred networks are still there all greyed out.

Will running Applejack fix it? I tried looking at some other utilities but you need the original start up disks and I don't have them for the laptop as it was second hand off ebay.

Its just weird how it worked fine till end of last week then suddenly having all these problems, I'm not sure if it was the Headmouse I tried which I have on trial for free weeks or a new sky customer in my area. Another one does come up on the list.