Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky Router Concerns

This is a discussion on Sky Router Concerns within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi everyone Just a quick question about the Router that sky provide with their boroadband package. I've just received my ...

renster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky Router Concerns

Hi everyone

Just a quick question about the Router that sky provide with their boroadband package. I've just received my email informing me that Sky Broadband is now available in my area and that I have three weeks to sign up - why 3 weeks is anybody's guess but there you go!

I'd be really grateful if anyone could tell me what the Sky router is like is so far as it's signal strength. The reason that I ask is because I was having a lot of problems given the construction of my house (solid walls I guess!) with the signal strength of my router when using the Internet upstairs which basically is most of the time.

Because of this I invested in a Belkin Pre-N MIMO ADSL2 Router with improved things no end. After reading few posts on this site is seems that I will not be able to use my existing router which is really annoying especially as I bought my Belkin just a short while ago. Does anybody know if there is any way in which I can use my existing router? It seems ridiculous to me that you are unable to use your own equipment!

What I'm concerned about is that if I have to use the Sky router that I'm going to go back to all the old problems that I used to have with low signal strength which for those that have experienced similar problems will know is very frustrating and annoying.

Grateful for any advice that any kind souls out there can offer.

Cheers.

2. Advertisement
      skonz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Welcome to the forums renster

Yes you can only use the router provided by Sky. I know what a pain it is not being able to use your own equipment and having to use Skys. If you look on the forum there is a page on how to flash your router to get all the details to transfer to your exisiting router. But this can be risky and you be violating skys t&c. I suggest you see how the current sky router goes if you dont get a good signal there are many more available options for you which some kind soul on here will be able to advise you, Otherwise your probably be stuck with wires all over the place.

Good luck mate let me know.

dingdong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      The signal strength is fine - probably the only thing that works as it should as far as I'm concered

Barolo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Isleworth, Middlesex
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wirelss Strength Fine for me

I am getting no problems with wireless strength as it 99% of the times shows at 54mbps, and I have to go through a couple of walls on the same floor.

In my experience there are other problems with stability of the router staying conencted though, so it isn't perfect.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Barolo View Post
      In my experience there are other problems with stability of the router staying conencted though, so it isn't perfect.
      Far from it in my opinion. There are just too many things that don't work with this router - I hope sky are passing feedback to Netgear so we can get firmware that actaully works properly

Ralph McMillan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I've been online now for one week and the only problem that I have is that the router does lock up from time to time.

I have followed the advice posted here and changed some of the router's configuration which helped stability a bit but I still get lockups every so often.

Still not anything that worries me too much as I just do a soft reset on the router, takes a few seconds and I'm back up and running.

Speed is aprox 4Mb which is faster than BT and for a lot less money.

Cheers

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Welcome to my world - yes you seem to be operating exactly as i am - locks-ups are annoying though - they need to fix the UPnP issue or sky are going to be inundated with support calls even more than they are at present

Sparkymatt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wickford
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by renster View Post
      Hi everyone

Just a quick question about the Router that sky provide with their boroadband package. I've just received my email informing me that Sky Broadband is now available in my area and that I have three weeks to sign up - why 3 weeks is anybody's guess but there you go!

I'd be really grateful if anyone could tell me what the Sky router is like is so far as it's signal strength. The reason that I ask is because I was having a lot of problems given the construction of my house (solid walls I guess!) with the signal strength of my router when using the Internet upstairs which basically is most of the time.

Because of this I invested in a Belkin Pre-N MIMO ADSL2 Router with improved things no end. After reading few posts on this site is seems that I will not be able to use my existing router which is really annoying especially as I bought my Belkin just a short while ago. Does anybody know if there is any way in which I can use my existing router? It seems ridiculous to me that you are unable to use your own equipment!

What I'm concerned about is that if I have to use the Sky router that I'm going to go back to all the old problems that I used to have with low signal strength which for those that have experienced similar problems will know is very frustrating and annoying.

Grateful for any advice that any kind souls out there can offer.

Cheers.

Does your Belkin router have the ability to be used as a wireless repeater? You can then use the Belkin to extend the wireless network range.

Matt

beethoven is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MRWAL (LLU since Oct06)
      Broadband ISP: connect billed as 17 - 12 = 5
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Wireless network

Hello. I have not posted before, and this may be in the wrong place.
      I am having a problem with setting up a wrieless network from new so I am not sure it is my green fingers or the router. I have hed no problems with delivery etc. All arrived on time, move from ntl to sky was uncontaminated by mec codes etc. The broadband function from BT came two days early, I was on the phone and it went dead, so up and working as soon as it came back. Needed to reset a few times. Call to skyhelp to ask for help to configure outlook with @sky.com. Told it was not supported, I told them they were 15 years out of date if that was so.
      Went straight to google and up popped skyuser, not only have I very easily configured @sky.com but also found that gmail can go through outlook. So ahve permanently gone to gmail.
      Next problem so some help please. I am setting up a home wireless network, besides two desk tops we have three laptops, after some reluctance first laptop and windows xp has shown me that the first candidate is functioning but it will not connect to the router. I have seen a post giving the url for changing router values etc. I am getting permanent "acquiring network address" - looks to be a router issue, Can anyone help please, or guide me to teh definitive post that has already addressed thsi issue?
      thanks
      Beethoven

Jackster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Router...terrible range...i used to use my router provided with my BT 2meg BB account when i opened it...i used this to connect to my wireless dvd player 2 rooms away and never had a problem, since swapping over to sky BB the dvd player is forever buffering and loses connection constantly... i have run all the fixes provided kindly by Ding dong and several others...the only problem that it could be is the router provided by sky..lets face it gentlemen how ever you try and spice it up ..its just plainly a defective bit of kit..or the firmware is just not up to it yet..if i were sky i would be embarrassed about sending this hardware out with their packages...and if i can find away of using my original router i will, as soon as possible...jack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast