Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

no router - anything I can do?

This is a discussion on no router - anything I can do? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, first post - great forum, has been very helpful in my search for a new ISP (leaving Demon) So, ...

mrklaw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Windsor
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

no router - anything I can do?

Hi, first post - great forum, has been very helpful in my search for a new ISP (leaving Demon)

So, my internet has been switched off today by Demon, and no sign of my sky router. Rang them up and apparantly they haven't even shipped it I rang them on Saturday and again yesterday just in case, and CS were very unhelpful, mumbling something about parcelforce. I specifically asked them if it had at least shipped and then I'd shut up and wait, but they wouldn't answer the question.

Is there anything I can do in the meantime? They say it should take a couple of days to get to me, but it might be next week at this rate (they say 5 days just to cover themselves).

Didnt get any luck asking for username/password - one CS person said you might need to log on once with the box so they have a record, and then they might be able to help - is that true? So maybe the boxes have random username/passwords on them that aren't assigned to you until you first use it?

I'm typing this using my 3G phone as a modem, but thats not sustainable, and won't work while I'm at work and the wife wants to use email. :suicide:

Many thanks for any help you can offer.

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: no router - anything I can do?

User and pass are built in to the router, nothing you can do until it arrives.

kipper is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0191
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hi, sorry if this sounds downbeat but I used to work for BT, one of my many tasks was to chase up routers that were being 'delivered' by parcel force, they are an absolute nightmare, or at least at the time they were, many many routers simply disappeared! Lost in transit etc etc etc, I suspect the staff cottoned on to what they were, nuff said!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

This used to be a common problem with users who were going on to Connect. They would not send out a router till the line had been switched to them. This meant the old ISP was removed from the line, Sky connected, then you had to wait 4-5 days for the Sky router to arrive before you could connect. It made a mockery of the MAC system.

one CS person said you might need to log on once with the box so they have a record, and then they might be able to help - is that true?
      No, they will not give you the details you need even when you log in. There have been a few cases where users have been given their log in details, but these are few and far between. The agent risks dismissal if they give you this information.

Keep phoning them until you get a definite answer.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

RicME85 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Thanks

Sorry to hijack but Im in a similar situation.
      I originally ordered Sky TV, Broadband and Phone all in one go back in July. I had the +HD box installed within a week, the phone line taken over a couple of weeks later but had issues with the broadband due to a previous ISP. Once those issues were resolved I spoke to the Sky Broadband team and they cancelled the original BB order and placed a new one (on 1st Sept). The service went active on 9th Sept but I hadnt received a router. I rang Sky up and mentioned this and they said that one was sent but obviously gone missing so ordered another to be sent out. Today I rang up to check it had been sent and to get a tracking number, turns out it hadnt and this was due to their system no comprehending that the original order had been cancelled and a new order made. I was told I now have to wait until the 16th and ring them back so they can make a new request for a router to be sent out. Im starting to get really hacked off already. Im lucky that I have a 3g mobile dongle to get internet access in the meantime but thats not the point. If I was to 'acquire' a Sky router from somewhere would I be able to get online?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If I was to 'acquire' a Sky router from somewhere would I be able to get online?
      Provided it had not been flashed with standard firmware and was registered in the Sky database, it would work.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

RicME85 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Thanks

Afaik its not been messed with. Thats excellent news