Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Connecting a DIR-615 cable router to my Sky Sagem Router

This is a discussion on Connecting a DIR-615 cable router to my Sky Sagem Router within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hello people, just moved to sky broadband so thought I would join here and Im glad I did as I ...

Pepp77 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Connecting a DIR-615 cable router to my Sky Sagem Router

Hello people, just moved to sky broadband so thought I would join here and Im glad I did as I already have a question lol

I used to be with Virgin for cable broadband (but 10 instead of 25 is too good to turn down) using a Dlink DIR-615 cable router connected to the Virgin modem. This worked perfectly and I had a rule set under the virtual server section of the router to forward everything on port 5900 to my media server (as 5900 is used for VNC).

As all computer equipment is upstairs I had the virgin connection presented upstairs, however because sky is ADSL it is having to be presented to the phone socket downstairs, this means that I am having to use a homeplug to send the connection upstairs to my DIR-615 router so I can plug the media server, PS3 and 360 into ethernet sockets, but I am having problems with opening ports.

Key - Downstairs router = Sky Sagem, Upstairs router = DLink DIR-615.

Originally I set the downstairs router to be DHCP and connected the upstairs router via a LAN port to the LAN port on the downstairs router ( turned DHCP off on the upstairs router), this meant that the downstairs router was 192.168.0.1 and I set the upstairs router to 192.168.0.254 - Then I had a comp plugged into a LAN port on the upstairs router with 192.168.0.110 and I could get internet access and I could access both router interfaces by their respecive IP addresses, but I couldnt get internet access with a laptop that was connected wirelessly to the upstairs router and I couldnt access the downstairs router through its IP address. I could get internet access wirelessly if connected to the downstairs router and could access both interfaces.

I then connected the upstairs router via its WAN port to a LAN port on the downstairs router (equivalent of the virgin setup) with this setup, LAN address on downstairs router was 192.168.1.1 (with DHCP turned off) - WAN address on upstairs router was set to 192.168.1.254 with a default gateway of 192.168.1.1 - LAN address on upstairs router was set to 192.168.0.1 and DHCP turned on. I can now access the internet wirelessly via both routers (although I have turned it off on the downstairs router as it doesnt give out IP addresses and is on a different subnet to the upstairs router) and I can access the router interface of both routers. So this is the setup I want and it seems to work.

The issue I am having is that I cannot get the Sky router to port forward correctly with either setup.

As an example I have VNC setup on one of my comps so I can get to it from work, previously I have forwarded port 5900 to the IP address of this PC via the virtual server on the DLink router and this worked perfectly.

However when I set a rule up on the sky router to forward the port to the PC I got no response (this was when I was LAN to LAN connected), so I tried forwarding everything to the IP address of the upstairs router and thought I could reuse the virtual server on the upstairs router to forward the port but nope still no luck.

I then tried the same thing on the LAN to WAN setup, forwarding everything via the sky router to the upstairs router and then using virtual server as before to forward to the correct PC, but it still wouldnt work.

I would also have expected that the forward all rule would have forwarded any outside access to the connection via its public IP address to the upstairs router, but it doesnt.

Anyone got any ideas or thinks I should do something different Im all ears.

2. Advertisement
      Pepp77 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Connecting a DIR-615 cable router to my Sky Sagem Router

Thought I would post to say I have resolved this - the problem was I was used to being able to test my port forwarding by going out from my laptop and back in to my desktop when I was with Virgin but this is not possible on the sky sagem it seems.

I have tested from my work this morning and everything seems tobe working now.