Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Torrent problems

This is a discussion on Torrent problems within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi there people. I've had sky for nearly 4 months and i've had nothing but stress!! When i first got ...

jimbell1983 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Torrent problems

Hi there people.
      I've had sky for nearly 4 months and i've had nothing but stress!!
      When i first got it, it took ages to set up port fowarding and firewall rules on the router to get decent speed with utorrent but i got it in the end.
      Recently i've discovered that utorrent will fire up ok, and start downloading a popular torrent at about 500kbps which is fine for my use. However it only uns at that speed for about a minute, then it dramaticly drops to 20 or 30 then stays there. If i close utorrent and fire it up again, the same thing happens!
      Has anybody else had this problem, and can it be fixed?
      Here's a few things i've already tried:
      Changed the port number i use for fowarding and changed the service and firewall rules on the router. (4 times to no avail)
      Turned encryption setting to "on" no effect
      Turned encryption to "forced" no effect
      Windows firwall is disabled, im runinng Norton 2009.
      Windows XP Pro SP3
      tcip half open conection patch from 10 to 50

Any ideas?
      Its not the seeders becasue its popular tv episodes and they always have over a few thousand, i always seed up to 25kbps and then up to 200 when its done.
      I'd understand if it was my line, but i dont understand why it throttles all the way up to 500 then drops. My line is clearly able to run at that speed it has in the past, so why the drop of?
      Any ideas guys?
      Jimbo

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Torrent problems

Wireless or wired?

Exchange:
      Thanks

wireless, using a netgear rangemax usb jobby. I know its not perfect lol but as i've said, its worked fine up until now. The signal strength is exellent.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Signal strength is near meaningless, it's signal quality that matters. Think of it in audio terms; if you have a distorted/muffled sound and you crank the volume up, it becomes a loud distorted/muffled sound.

Try it wired. If the problem persists then it is something else. If it goes away then it's a wireless problem. My money is on the latter.

If it is wireless, coincidentally, this is the third post today I've seen with similar wireless problems. Data gets corrupted and needs the router to retransmit it. This retransmitted data also gets partially corrupted. The cycle repeats and the problem snowballs.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Alright buddy, i'll try and and let you know.
      I know what you mean about wireless, i use it out of convenience more than anything. I have two chinchillas so having an ethernet cable laying around is like playing with fire lol
      thanks
      Jim

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimbell1983 View Post
      so having an ethernet cable laying around is like playing with fire
      Think about Homeplugs then. It will cost you 50 or so but the performance will be near identical to wired ethernet - without the wires.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ok i tried it wired and it did exactly the same thing.
      I'll have to leave it until tonight now because im on connect which get's throttled in the afternoon.
      I cant think what could be causing it, as soon as utorrent starts up, the speed rockets to 550kbps, then after about a min or so, it just drops to 30 and stays there....so infuriating!!

briancst1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NIBYS
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Hi there people.
      I've had sky for nearly 4 months and i've had nothing but stress!!
      When i first got it, it took ages to set up port fowarding and firewall rules on the router to get decent speed with utorrent but i got it in the end.
      Recently i've discovered that utorrent will fire up ok, and start downloading a popular torrent at about 500kbps which is fine for my use. However it only uns at that speed for about a minute, then it dramaticly drops to 20 or 30 then stays there. If i close utorrent and fire it up again, the same thing happens!
      Has anybody else had this problem, and can it be fixed?
      Here's a few things i've already tried:
      Changed the port number i use for fowarding and changed the service and firewall rules on the router. (4 times to no avail)
      Turned encryption setting to "on" no effect
      Turned encryption to "forced" no effect
      Windows firwall is disabled, im runinng Norton 2009.
      Windows XP Pro SP3
      tcip half open conection patch from 10 to 50

Any ideas?
      Its not the seeders becasue its popular tv episodes and they always have over a few thousand, i always seed up to 25kbps and then up to 200 when its done.
      I'd understand if it was my line, but i dont understand why it throttles all the way up to 500 then drops. My line is clearly able to run at that speed it has in the past, so why the drop of?
      Any ideas guys?
      Jimbo
      HI THERE I HAD SAME PROB FOR A WHILE WITH MINE IF YOU USE BitLord - The Ultimate Torrent Downloader this programmes is alot better make sure you enabled upnp on the router status page you will see the difference i connect wirelessly myself i downloaded the darknight in 20 mins so not bad let me know if you need any more help

Exchange:
      Thanks

im on connect
      Ah - your profile says Base not Connect

Connect is traffic shaped. Most obviously customers see this as severe throttling in the evenings, as you've suffered, however, it is perfectly possible that they are also shaping specific types of traffic e.g. torrents and their new technology employed by ISPs can easily detect this, encrypted or not. Just a thought.

If it's not a wireless issue and it's not traffic shaping then it is most likely a problem with your PC set up, torrent client or, unlikely but possible, a router problem.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks Briancst1, i'll give that a try, i've always prefered utorrent but i'll let you know how i get on.
      And thank you Saturday, i know all about the stupid traffic shaping that goes on with sky connect, thats why im switching to o2 next month, i understand a certain amount of traffic control need to be in place, but the amount that sky throttle is just insane!
      This must of got worse the past week or so because it was working fine last week, i just didnt download at peak times, but it seems that the line is throttled all the time.
      If i wasnt paying that much for it, i would probably deal with it, but 02 do a really good deal for a 20 meg line so its adios sky!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast