Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Change of Router.

This is a discussion on Change of Router. within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Now it's interesting you say that, because if there was a break in service through no fault of the customers, ...

TeamDraven is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01323
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: Change of Router.

Now it's interesting you say that, because if there was a break in service through no fault of the customers, say a dodgy Sky supplied and endorsed wireless router, you could argue that you are not receiving the service paid for, and although using adifferent router is against policy it's not breaking the 'terms' and 'conditions' of the contract, it could only be considered breaking a 'warrenty' of the contract which carries much less weight.

If taken to court then I'm sure you could argue that to prevent Sky actually breaking it's conditions of supplying you with a fully functioning ADSL line, you were only taking reasonable steps to ensure that Sky would not have to be subject to a contract condition breach.

Hopefully there will be no need for this though, I'm not the enemy seems to be a reasonable man so why should the rest of them not be?

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      now im sure you'll come back arguing 'if sky's router doesn't work then how can we get online?!?!' simple answer...you can't...

enjoy a few days away from the PC - catch up on TV...lol...

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Turns out that even by using https://www.cm9.net/skypass/ without putting the colons between each two digits, I got the same password as I did the first time round.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

They wouldn't take you to court, they would just kick you off the service for breach of contract.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TeamDraven View Post
      Now it's interesting you say that, because if there was a break in service through no fault of the customers, say a dodgy Sky supplied and endorsed wireless router, you could argue that you are not receiving the service paid for, and although using adifferent router is against policy it's not breaking the 'terms' and 'conditions' of the contract, it could only be considered breaking a 'warrenty' of the contract which carries much less weight.

If taken to court then I'm sure you could argue that to prevent Sky actually breaking it's conditions of supplying you with a fully functioning ADSL line, you were only taking reasonable steps to ensure that Sky would not have to be subject to a contract condition breach.

Hopefully there will be no need for this though, I'm not the enemy seems to be a reasonable man so why should the rest of them not be?

I am sure that you are right and in the event of a router failure (having your own router makes it easy to confirm it would be skys router at fault) then wiser heads would prevail and sky would allow the use of your own router while you wait for the new one. If they would not see sense, then as I say time to look for a new ISP.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      They wouldn't take you to court, they would just kick you off the service for breach of contract.
      TeamDraven's arguement is that you could take Sky to court because they had broken their contract by not suppling an ADSL service, and while you had infringed it by using your own router, you were in fact trying to protect sky from breaching it's own contract with you.

Thanks

HI Brian, yes I understand this but two wrongs don't make a right.

I don't think this senario would ever happen of course, I'm just arguing the point.

If your Sky router was to break and Sky were sending out a new one then I don't think the court would even consider this, the contract does allow for faults/downtime etc. Also as the downtime was only going to be around one week and I'm sure Sky would refund the monies for that time if asked I think this a none starter.

If on the otherhand they refused to replace the faulty router and insisted you couldn't use their own then obviously you would then have cause.

I think this is one of the reasons why Sky did a bit of a u-turn over out of warranty routers.

Thanks

Yes I agree with you Smithy I dont think it would ever happen, and If Sky did get snotty, then it is up to the individual what steps they wish to take. Its like those poor buggers on Connect, the solution is to leave if they can.

Thanks

That is of course case dependant.

My wife works from home and part of her contract is that we will supply the broadband link, Now I understand that Sky would have privity of contract with my wifes company and Visa versa, however would sky then be happy to pay a compensation for my wife not being able to work for a week or two?

I could happily do without my BB link for a week but my wife could not.

I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      Also as the downtime was only going to be around one week and I'm sure Sky would refund the monies for that time if asked I think this a none starter.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

but your wife won't have a leg to stand on as Sky BB prohibits business use - she'd be able to claim nothing...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Well you now have a bigger problem, Sky specifically state that that the service is not for business use.

If you think that you will have any claim if you loose your connection you are wrong.

If it really is that important, I suggest you get a business specific product with a good SLA and even a second line and connection with another company for redundancy.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast