Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Dynamic DNS Help

This is a discussion on Dynamic DNS Help within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi Guys, I have just got Sky broadband in and to my horror I've found out that you need to ...

dynamic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Dynamic DNS Help

Hi Guys,

I have just got Sky broadband in and to my horror I've found out that you need to use there router (I guess its in the small print somewhere).

I have a Linksys WVC54GC wireless camera that uses a Dynamic DNS, the service provider is tzo.com

When I go into the advanced settings of my router DG934G and select Dynamic DNS it tells me how to set one up. It tells me to "choose" a service provider but there is only www.DynDNS.org in the drop down.

I really need help with this, I managed to set it it with my old router (belkin-N) with another ISP without any problems.

If I cant get this to work then my IP Camera will be useless as I wont be able to access this from the outside world.

Any Help?

Cheers

2. Advertisement
      richhodg is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Dynamic DNS Help

I'm pretty sure you can only use this one on netgear routers.

puttputt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

do some reading. You can use any router you like if you want. Sky CS dont know their arses from their elbows.

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Why not use DynamicDNS it is free and will do what you want.
      Sky are well aware of what router you are using and the ones who post here will not take kindly to a previous posters remarks.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Why not use DynamicDNS it is free and will do what you want.
      Sky are well aware of what router you are using and the ones who post here will not take kindly to a previous posters remarks.
      Thanks, I am using dyndns now, I can access my router using the domain.
      How often does the IP address change with sky?

Pain in the bum that Sky say you must use their router - wonder why that is? Maybe they are going to spring an i-Robot plot on us

Thanks

Your IP will only change when your router re-syncs with the exchange. Even then it might not. There have been cases reported of users trying to change their IP by rebooting and not succeeding.

The problem of not being able to use your own router has been well discussed in the forum. The general opinion has been that it makes it easier to train support staff for one basic router and nothing 'big brother' like. The feeling on the forum has been that if you use your own router, don't expect support. Members have been using their own router for years now with no problems, but it is rumoured that this is changing.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Truescotsman83 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunfermline
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by puttputt View Post
      do some reading. You can use any router you like if you want. Sky CS dont know their arses from their elbows.

its not that we dont know our arses from our elbows , it because we are not allow to give username and password out under any circumstance and it is the contract you agreed to, so just that you know there are many advisors with a wealth of knowledge including degrees and professional qualifications

Exchange:
      Thanks

Still not buying the easier to train staff to support one product. All they would need to do is say that we only support the Sky broadband router, no other product is supported. Instead they are causing problems by not allowing you to use your own router. All other ISP's that I have had when I call them up because I cant connect or have a problem they all say they cant help as they dont support routers that were not supplied. That I can live with, if I want support I will use the issued router.

The information when purchasing is so poor from Sky, I explained that I needed an N class router, I was told yes sky are at the forefront of technology so it probably will be, can you imagine if I asked them if I could configure a dynamic dns using a specific service provider before I purchased........ I understand that this isnt the norm for 98% of customers but why restrict the other 2%

Thanks

I agree in the main with what you are saying, but I think when Sky set up their broadband they aimed it at people who had never had broadband, not experienced users. It would have been difficult for them, at the time, to make a rule for a user who did not have a clue and another for the experienced user. It is possible Sky will relax their position, just as they did with 'truly unlimited broadband'.

The lies told by salespersons, many of whom don't know the difference between broadband and a barndoor, is well known. Unfortunately it is difficult to prove what you were told after the fact. Although they like to say they are recording telecalls, getting them to produce a specific recording is impossible.

TomD

Useful Utilites