Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Connecting multiple pc's on the netgear DG934G router

This is a discussion on Connecting multiple pc's on the netgear DG934G router within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I just switched to sky connect broadband, from Bt broadband Option 3. Over all im pretty happy with the service ...

Tashady1977 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Thame
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Connecting multiple pc's on the netgear DG934G router

I just switched to sky connect broadband, from Bt broadband Option 3. Over all im pretty happy with the service and speed of sky, in comparison to BT, but Im a little mythed as to why Im having problems connecting more than 3 pcs to the network.
      BT would let me connect 4 and sometimes 5 at times on that network all wireless. But when I try to connect 4 pc's on this router, it wont connect or it pushes someone else off the network. Its really frustrating as I have 3 teenagers who all want to use the internet at the same time, and that means then I cant until one of them turns theirs off.
      I am female and dont understand the jargon put in most of these threads, so Ive probs missed something along the way, so any help would be much appreciated.
      Female friendly of course

Thanx for your patience

2. Advertisement
      Ratcliffes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Connecting multiple pc's on the netgear DG934G router

The only capacity limit which might restrict the number of client PCs attached to the DG934G that I know of is that the speed of the processor in the router will eventually be unable to cope with the throughput. However this should not be a factor until you reach a much greater number of PCs attached (say between 10 and 20 at a guess). There is no good reason why the router would kick off the fourth client. I have more than this attached to my DG 934G router most of the time.

My guess - And it is only a guess with little info to go on - is that wireless interference between the clients is causing the issue. My advice would be to start by changing the wireless channel from Auto - try 13 to start with and then work down till you find one which works. To do this you need to be able to log onto the router's management interface. Do a search on this site for instructions if you don't know how, or post back.

If this doesn't work you should try homeplugs. These create an ethernet network around your house using the mains wiring instead of extra cables but they work almost as well as a dedicated wired network in most cases. Many people have enormous problems with wireless in the home as it has become so common and is susceptible to interference from all kinds of sources. Google for homeplugs and you should be able to pick up a pair for less than 50.

If you don't want to try these suggestions, you could try calling Sky but unless they can diagnose a faulty router (possible but not the most likely answer) all they will do is try these steps with you.
      Last edited by Ratcliffes; 14-01-09 at 02:41 PM.

FelixTCat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Tilehurst
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Welcome to SkyUser forums.

I'm sorry that you have been having trouble. I assume from your post that all the users are trying to connect by wireless. It is possible that the router is set to accept only a limited number of wireless connections. To check this, you will have to log in to your router and check. It isn't that scary.

First, log into the router by typing 192.168.0.1 into the address bar of your web browser (Internet Explorer or Firefox or whichever) and press Enter.

A log in box will appear asking for your user name and password. Put admin in as user name and sky as password and press Enter.

In the black bar near the top, click on Advanced (it isn't that advanced, really).

In the line below that, now click on LAN IP SETUP. A new window appears.

Now look where it says Use Router as DHCP Server. The box beside it should be ticked.

Now look at where it says Starting IP Address - it will probably be 192.168.0.2

Now look where it says Ending IP Address. The last number for you should be at least 8. If it is lower than 8, set it to 8 so the whole number reads 192.168.0.8

This will allow more wireless equipment to connect. You can make it higher than 8 if you like; the difference between the last numbers tells you how many devices can connect.

When you have changed it, click on the red Apply near the bottom of the page.

Now click on LOGOUT in the black bar near the top right of the window.

You should now be able to add more wireless PCs to the network.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Felix

Thanks

Hi Ratcliffes,
      These home plugs your on about? Are they the same as BT use for BT vision, ie, a box that plugs in the wall socket and connected to router via ethernet and another box connected to wall and connected to BT vision box via ethernet , I could replace the BT vision box with my pc, right?. and if so, do ya think they would work as I already have those. Thank-you

Thanks

Felix,

Just about to check your advise now. Ill get back to you. Thank you both so far for making this easy for me lol.

Thanks

Hi Felix,

Starting i.p is 192.168.0.2
      Ending i.p is 192.168.0.254

Is this right? does that mean I can connect this many computers (254), yet its difficult to connect just 4?

FelixTCat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Tilehurst
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Hi Tashady,

That just means that the problem wasn't that.

Wireless networking can be tricky. It may be best to try switching off the wireless security to see if all the PCs can connect. If they can all connect at once without difficulty, then switch the security back on. If they now can't connect, it is a security problem.

It's best to try just one thing at a time so that you can identify where the fault lies.

By the way, are the PCs switched off between use or only put into standby?

Regards,

Felix

Ratcliffes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tashady1977 View Post
      Hi Ratcliffes,
      These home plugs your on about? Are they the same as BT use for BT vision, ie, a box that plugs in the wall socket and connected to router via ethernet and another box connected to wall and connected to BT vision box via ethernet , I could replace the BT vision box with my pc, right?. and if so, do ya think they would work as I already have those. Thank-you
      Sorry - Not familiar with BT vision but they sound similar from your description. Worth a go I'd say although they won't help to get to the root cause of your problem. Felix was right that insufficient DHCP range would cause your symptoms but you have ruled that out.

Best to google for homeplug info but here is a review: Solwise 85Mbps HomePlug Review

googleme is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Ip addresses of all the machines are they are all different. I tend to assign all my devices with IP's so I know what they are and what they are doing. (Thats the Network Manager in me).

Thanks

Hi googleme,

How do I know if they are the same/different, told ya im a woman lol. If they are different how do i get them all the same?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast