Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless-n

This is a discussion on Wireless-n within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, I have moved home and the Sky router is now placed in a cupboard under the stairs and my ...

nicke1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: St Albans
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Wireless-n

Hi,

I have moved home and the Sky router is now placed in a cupboard under the stairs and my main machine is on the floor above.

The signal is poor, speed has dramatically dropped off, general web browsing has slowed significantly, etc.

To resolve I was thinking of replacing the router with a wireless-n (I appreciate the t&c issue, etc.).

I've not followed reviews on wireless-n routers - can anyone recommend one they've had success with, e.g. good transfer rates, signal strength, etc. And is simple to set-up?

Generally how much better is the wireless-n range than g?

And will my existing PC wireless card (g) work fine with a wireless-n router? Presumably I'll still benefit from the increased range but obviously not get the increased transfer rates (transfer rates are not the issue at the moment and I can upgrade the pc wireless card later)

Many thanks
      Nick

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Re: Wireless-n

Forget wireless and fit a couple of homeplugs, just like a wired network, no need to break the T&C's and you can get one with a wireless access point to extend the range for laptops etc.

Ned Ludd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Haxby
      Broadband ISP: PlusNet
      Router: TP-Link WR2543ND
      Sky TV: FreeSat
      Thanks

Wireless 'n' generally has a better range than b/g, perhaps it uses more aerials than b/g. It is also backwards compatible with the latest wifi cards. It has to be said though, that some find reducing the signal to b/g improves connectivity with b/g cards!
      I found with my laptop that using n wifi pulled in more access points locally than using b/g wifi.
      Geoff, York.
      Can't call me a Luddite now!

nicke1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: St Albans
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Many thanks for the replies - I'll look into the homepoint soon but want to consider this as part of a total review of my home infrastructure.

I didn't think about an antenna gain on the PC end - a colleague mentioned this. Do these gain antenna's tend to work? I can pick one up for around a 5 but have no idea whether it will resolve the problem.

Thanks
      Nick