Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Alternative Router!

This is a discussion on Alternative Router! within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, i currently have the netgear DG834GT router & I'm thinking of just throwing it in the bin & buying ...

VsUK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01709
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Media 50mb
      Router: Virgin Superhub
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Alternative Router!

Hi, i currently have the netgear DG834GT router & I'm thinking of just throwing it in the bin & buying my own as it just randomly reboots itself & drops the connection with sky Max. I know the details like username n pass, but im told that some routers cause connection dropouts or more problems. Has anyone got any recommendations on what type of wireless router thats better than the one i have that has more functions. I would rather buy one someone else has had no problems with than go get one of my own back & end up having problems.

thanks

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Alternative Router!

well, reading tour past posts you've using your own already and it wasn't dropping - and as you put it

'So, my final conclusion is, the router sky provide seriously stinks & must of been so rubbish, sky got them dirt cheap'

which is rubbish as i know people still using their DG834GT since they went active in 2006!!! It's a commercially available router still on sale today!!
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

51ayer88 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Terrington st. John
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

im thinking the same, want to get netgear wireless N, is it as simple as plugging it in and it would work or do i need any information from sky to configure it with?

any help will be very greatful

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Whatever you do, wether you use your own router having got your username and password using the password generator on this site, do keep your Sky router. If Sky ever do decide to enforce the "you must use our kit" clause in the T&C's, they would be quite within their rights to charge you for a new router if you have disposed of the one they provided.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

You need the adsl user name and password etc from the router already supplied.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      Whatever you do, wether you use your own router having got your username and password using the password generator on this site, do keep your Sky router. If Sky ever do decide to enforce the "you must use our kit" clause in the T&C's, they would be quite within their rights to charge you for a new router if you have disposed of the one they provided.
      Or cut you off full stop!
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

I reverted back to the original router as the one i had refused to port forward & wouldnt allow access to some services so i took it back & stuck the old one back in. Just looking for what people have had in that they have had no problems with so i know roughly the type of routers are worth bothering with sky.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

What issues are you having with the Sky router?

Thanks

It randomly reboots itself & when randomly changes the ip on me & dosnt even show up in the router log, 1 minute im ending on 89 & then its 204. Also i get a dropped connection often to. Ive spoken with sky & they reduced my speed to 12mb download & 768 upload. That seemed to fix or at least greatly reduced the drop connection rate & i noticed im back up to 14.7mb download 961 upload.

I disabled the UPnP & thats stopped some services from randomly been blocked which needed a router reboot to correct but its like one problem after another. Its limiting my gaming ability as it just kicks me off when this happens & at times ive considered moving to virgin media even though its seriously over priced but gave me 0 connection dropouts when i was with them.

So my only option is that the router is just to cack. I was aware of the drop outs been due to to much data been sent from exchange to router & after so much it just drops my connection & refresh's itself, however i can only presume that other routers would handle this much better?

Ive been on here which fixed some problems but over time they just return & now with the router randomly rebooting itself & just locking up completely i think its time for change.