Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless Extender Kit

This is a discussion on Wireless Extender Kit within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi We went live with Sky BB on Friday - the date they promised and so far its generally been ...

kezia is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wireless Extender Kit

Hi

We went live with Sky BB on Friday - the date they promised and so far its generally been ok. Have sorted out the router with some of the recommendations on the forums so thanks for that. On speedtests our download is generally hitting about 10500 Kbs so am pretty chuffed about that

One issue we are seeing though is that the wireless signal doesn't seem to be as strong as the old BT Voyager we had. When we go upstairs the signal strength drops really badly but we need to leave the router where it is because that's where the PC is and its wired to that.

So after that ramble ....

I see on Amazon they sell a Netgear Wireless Extender kit for about 70 (the WGXB102). Has anyone else used it - is it any good?

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Should work fine (I don't have personal experience of it) but before you part with the cash, have you tried repositioning the router?

In my experience, moving the router only a couple of feet - especially away from anything electrical like the monitor/PC, or anything metal, can make a big difference.

Also try moving the antenna angle. If your signal strength is low upstairs then put the antenna at 45 degrees. The other thing to try is to change the wireless channel as a different frequency can sometimes penetrate better.

You can also buy antenna extender cables of up to 5m that don't need any power boost - you could then have the antenna in a much better place for signal all round the house.

HTH

jonandmarkuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ilkeston
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      You could also take a look at the Solwise Homeplugs. You connect one end to your network and plug it into the wall, then the other end you plug in a wireless transmitter and that's it. The network connection runs over your electrical cable.
      If we lived in a house with better electric socket placement then I would seriously look at buying some. Technically they can transmit faster than the current wireless standards. 108Mbps is a joke as I have NEVER been able to get this even sat next to the router.

akita is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Trentham WMTRE
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      ^^ I've got Homeplugs because I don't like wireless - they're great, I can use my laptop anywhere (I could even work in the garden shed if I wanted to ... !) with no degradation of the performance at all...
      Rachel

SkyTechnicalSupport is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

homeplugs

homeplugs rock!

100% secure, great speeds, and really easy to use! put them anywhere you have a plug socket!!!!

www.homeplugs.co.uk

sts
      Last edited by Wheelie; 24-09-06 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Please do not quote the preceding post.Please use QUOTE sparingly please use @User Name this helps keep the forum tidy thanks

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I have been toying with the idea of getting a couple myself
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

kezia is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for all the tips. Will work through them (from least to most expensive)