Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Will my speed increase / line retrain itself?

This is a discussion on Will my speed increase / line retrain itself? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I totally rewired the internal phone system today and managed to see my noise margin figure go from 7db at ...

DeeLondon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I totally rewired the internal phone system today and managed to see my noise margin figure go from 7db at night to 10.6db - which I believe means that I've managed to more then double the signal to noise ratio? (an increase of 3db means you double the signal?)

Usually my db figure is 2db higher during the day so 'm expecting it to go as high at 12db.

I am currently getting 12mb/s download - is it likely now that my signal to noise ratio is higher I'll get more speed as well?

My main aim by rewiring the phone systemat home was to get the ratio over 7db as I find once i dips below this I lose sync. I', on the Max Sky Broadband package.

Will the line retrain itself or do I need to send someone at Sky an email to see if the speed will go any higher now? Been with sky for several years.

=

BTW I've just noticed that when I turn on my GrandStream 2000 Hardware INternet phone the signal drops to 6.9db or less - if I move the Grandstream telephone further away from the netgear router then it seems to improve - so it would seem also that having a Grandstream 2000 near the ADSL Modem / Router is affecting the db figure.

The only thing I can think of that's different with my phone is that the orignal power supply stopped working and so I replaced with the power supply from a Sony PSP - which was the right voltage and right AMPS and simply cut off the end of the lead.

As soon as I turn off the Grandstream the db figure jumps about 3db. Any ideas?

Is it more likely to be the phone or the power supply causing the problems?

=

OK - done some more experimenting and confirm that turning on the Grandstream phone is definatly interfering with the ADSL Signal to noise ratio

Currently getting 10.7db but if I plug the Grandstream into the back of the NetGear with the power supply on the same power extension cord then it drops to under 7db - moving the power supply to another power socket gives me perhap 8db and removing the ethernet cable linking the phone to my Netgear ADSL Modem / Router increases the signal by about 2db (to around 9db).

Just turned on the phone and it's not plugged into the ethernet and on a totally different power socket and saw an instant 0.6db drop in signal to noise ratio. (gone from 10.7db to 10.1db)

I'd say the two units are approx 2 metres apart atm.

=

OK Next experiment - I took the modem wire telephone socket which is about 1.5 metrers long and wrapped it around to make it shorter and then moved the Netgear ADSL modem as close to the telephone socket as possible - plugged in the Grandstream Telephone, plugged into the ethernet socket and now connecting at 8.9db which is a lot better then the 7db from before - so it seems the telephone is generating considerable RFI and the long telephone cable was picking it up

BTW The telephone cable has a choke on it. Would have thought that would have helped reduce RFI more. Not sure where the original cable is that came with the modem or if that would make any difference?

=

Oh something new - I was reading about the BT Ring Wire and how it's no longer needed on modern telephone and how disconnecting the ring wire which is PIN 3 might help some people - so I decided to give it a go and now I'm connecting at 12.3db - so disconnecting that unneeded wire has almost doubled the signal to noise ratio for me.

Turned on the Grandstream 2000 phone and goes down to 11.1db but overall I'm a lot better off then I was a few hours ago.
      Last edited by Saturday; 24-11-08 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Merged 5 consecutive posts - please use edit not add

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Will my speed increase / line retrain itself?

The line may re-train but the easiest route is to call tier 1 for slow speed, tell them that you had internal wiring issues tha are now resolved and want to be troubleshot for slow speed. They can then put a ticket in to CST who can reset any cap on the line.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I may just do that - but for now I guess I'm looking forward to a steadier internet connection - removing the ring wire was so quick and easy to do and made such a huge difference and just checked and all the phones ring, so that's good.

Current stats with the Grandstream Phone turned off:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 12287 kbps 796 kbps
      Line Attenuation 21.5 db 12.1 db
      Noise Margin 13.4 db 11.5 db

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Hi Dee.
      I've posted this before, but just incase you have not come across it, there is one sure way to get the best speeds your line can support.
      (1) Fit a filter faceplate and ensure that all phones, Sky boxes, alarm panels, fax machines, in fact anything other than your router, is connected to the phone side of the filter.

(2) Connect router to the filter with as short a cable as possible, and connect router to computer by cable or mains addaptor. Use wireless as a last resort.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yeah I've had the sky router by the Master Socket before but the location of the socket wasn't very convient, as it meant I couldn't use the Ethernet ports on the back of it for my computer and especially Hardware Internet phone.

But after all my efforts last night I think I've managed to strike good balance between having a good location for the router and getting a good and stable signal now.