Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Not a good start:-(

This is a discussion on Not a good start:-( within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; By appliances I meant the devices you want to connect to the router, PC iPhone, Laptop, etc. You are correct ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Not a good start:-(

By appliances I meant the devices you want to connect to the router, PC iPhone, Laptop, etc.

You are correct in saying that ADSL routers are not plug and play. You have to do a minimum of work to set them up properly especially for wireless. When I said work down from Channel 13 earlier, I meant numerically, it might mean working up on your screen, depending on how it displays. Start at 13 and if the reception is still bad, choose a lower channel until you find a good one. As Red says, you could try the same channel as your cable router, although it may also be set to Auto.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      Schrodinger56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reddwarfcrew View Post
      It probably does sound like a wireless issue. Don't you know what channel the VM router broadcast on and just change to that.
      I'm now connected to my VM service but guess what I cannot work out how to find out what Channel the router is "broadcasting" on

For Isitme :- Can I just ask when you say 'reception' what do you mean? It's it the reception of the telephone sound or something else? The reception or quality of the phone when the Sky router is on is pretty bad, great when off though!

Update....eventually found what Channel VM router was broadcasting on and changed the Sky router to same and bingo both laptop & iTouch now connect in different rooms to the router :-)

Now all I have to find out is how to make the phone sound a lot clearer!
      Last edited by Schrodinger56; 19-11-08 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Update and thanks to all.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Filters all checked if so do you have sky tv still plugged into the line somewhere? Also if the noise on the line is only there when the router is powered up you may need to get into the test socket to check if its a wiring issue.
      Last edited by PaulSky; 20-11-08 at 08:30 AM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSky View Post
      Filters all checked if so do you have sky tv still plugged into the line somewhere? Also if the noise on the line is only there when the router is powered up you may need to get into the test socket to check if its a wiring issue.
      Thank you.

The Sky TV box isn't connected to any telephone socket.

I've just found out that there is one of these loud ringer things connected to the master BT socket to that when the phone rings you can hear it down the garden. But surely a ringer amplifier would cause any problems?

When you say "wiring issue" what does that mean as prior to getting Sky BB the phone worked perfectly well.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

All equipment (phones, sky boxes, extension bells, fax machines, alarms, in fact anything) connected to your phone line MUST be connected via a filter.
      The easiest way to do this is to fit a filter faceplate at the master socket. This isolates all your equipment and internal wiring and prevents it from causing problems with the ADSL signal and leaves you with one point at which to connect the router.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      All equipment (phones, sky boxes, extension bells, fax machines, alarms, in fact anything) connected to your phone line MUST be connected via a filter.
      The easiest way to do this is to fit a filter faceplate at the master socket. This isolates all your equipment and internal wiring and prevents it from causing problems with the ADSL signal and leaves you with one point at which to connect the router.
      Thank you Brian

i've just delved further beneath all the gubbins where the BT master socket is and can see that the ringer amplifier (it's a separate box thing on the wall) is hard wired into the actual master socket itself. I think the best thing to do is to just open up the master socket and take out the wires that go to the amplifier. That will then leave nothing going into or out of the master socket other than the main telephone line.

Update 11:23. I've just done what was suggested in an earlier post and plugged the router into the test socket of the master BT box and NO INTERFERENCE on the telephone line :-)

Does this mean that the amplifier ringer is the problem? I was also wondering as I can make and receive calls with the router plugged into the test socket (via the filter) together with the telephone can't I just leave everything plugged into the test socket? I'm also getting much higher wireless speeds on all three machines.

Thanks
      Last edited by Schrodinger56; 20-11-08 at 12:28 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

There is nothing to stop you leaving everything plugged into the Test socket, apart from the untidy appearance and the inability to use your amplifier. What I suggest is that you get an ADSL Faceplate or similar. This will isolate all your internal wiring, including the ring amplifier, from the ADSL signal. They are very easy to fit and if you have the plate off, half the job is done.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks to all for your patience and assistance. I am really grateful.

Before trying a new faceplate I'll try disconnecting the ringer amplifier as we don't really need it (it was the previous incumbent of the house who was a tad hard of hearing!). Hopefully disconnecting the amplifier will stop the interference when I use the router in the "usual socket" in the master box.

Thanks again.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123