Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Not a good start:-(

This is a discussion on Not a good start:-( within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Originally Posted by Schrodinger56 My Channels go from Auto the 1 down to 13. I'm sorry I don't speak that ...

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Not a good start:-(

Quote Originally Posted by Schrodinger56 View Post
      My Channels go from Auto the 1 down to 13.
      I'm sorry I don't speak that language

2. Advertisement
      Schrodinger56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Have you tried changing channels? Remember it will take some time for the router to be found and the connection made on each channel change.
      What difference should changing channels do. Will changing channels improve the telephone quality and improve the connectivity of the laptop (and iTouch) wirelessly?

Thanks

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reddwarfcrew View Post
      I'm sorry I don't speak that language
      On the Drop Down Menu for Channels on the Router Set-up screen, accessed via typing in 192.168.0.1 in the address bar, the list begins with Auto then increases from 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13.

Exchange:
      Thanks

think of it like a motorway. You are in the left hand lane, but only going 40mph cos of the amount of traffic, so you move lanes (channel) into the middle lane where there is no traffic and now you can go quicker. Same thing..... most things these days run on the same frequency as a router so you have to find a 'clear' channel.

As for the telephone, I refer you once again to you probably having poor internal wiring and therefore need to improve it. An ADSLNation XTE5 faceplate would probably do the job.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you are using a wireless phone and it appears you are, then it may improve it. It may also improve the reception of your other appliances. You will not know till you try.

Edit - if your phone is multi channel, you could also try changing that.
      Last edited by Isitme; 19-11-08 at 10:36 PM.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

think of it like a motorway. You are in the left hand lane, but only going 40mph cos of the amount of traffic, so you move lanes (channel) into the middle lane where there is no traffic and now you can go quicker. Same thing..... most things these days run on the same frequency as a router so you have to find a 'clear' channel.

As for the telephone, I refer you once again to you probably having poor internal wiring and therefore need to improve it. An ADSLNation XTE5 faceplate would probably do the job.
      Thanks for the analogy. When it comes to the internal wiring of my phone all it is is one main base station which plugs into the Master BT socket and the mains because it's also an answering machine then two satellite phones which just plug into the mains in the lounge and bedroom and that's it.

To be honest if I have to start swapping BT sockets and installing different plates or whatever I think I'll just go back to VM cable as it was much less hassle, everything just worked without any problem. I really didn't think Sky BB would be so problematic and sensitive to whatever else was in ones house, not that I have anything that would interfere with there hardware.

All I wanted and to an extent was lead to believe from Sky was a direct (and cheaper) replacement for VM BB. That is Plug and Play :-) but it doesn't seem that I have had this.

Exchange:
      Thanks

It probably does sound like a wireless issue. Don't you know what channel the VM router broadcast on and just change to that.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If you are using a wireless phone and it appears you are, then it may improve it. It may also improve the reception of your other appliances. You will not know till you try.

Edit - if your phone is multi channel, you could also try changing that.
      Thanks for helping. I'm really confused by what you are telling me above....improve what and improve the reception of what other appliances?. Sorry to appear thick but I'm not technically minded.

Again I haven't a clue about changing channels on my phone and wouldn't know where to start. Again what I don't understand is I had no problems with my cable router at all but clearly there are loads with Sky's router.

Exchange:
      Thanks

There is nothing wrong with Skys router and you need to get to grips with this.

Your VM router was set by default to always drive in the MIDDLE lane and your Sky router the FAST lane.

However for your PERSONAL set up, it appears that the MIDDLE lane is less congested that the FAST lane.

Change the lanes that you drive in and all should be good.

Exchange:
      Thanks

It probably does sound like a wireless issue. Don't you know what channel the VM router broadcast on and just change to that.
      I haven't gotten rid of my VM equipment yet and am still subscribing to VM. I wasn't going to cancel VM until I was sure that SKy was up and running without any issues, just as well as it's turned out! So I'll hook the VM stuff back up and see what channel that router used.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast