Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

54g Sagem Router

This is a discussion on 54g Sagem Router within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi first post looking for advice. Looking to save money I joined Sky Broadband after assurance by Sky that their ...

TCat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01629
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

54g Sagem Router

Hi first post looking for advice.
      Looking to save money I joined Sky Broadband after assurance by Sky that their router was capable of 108Mb/s.
      I have received a Sagem that clearly is not.

This is what Sky originaly told me:

Quote from the spec sent.
      "Up to 108Mb/s (Megabits per second) wireless data transfer rate from the integrated wireless access point when used with 108Mb/s adapters.
      It's fully wi-fi certified with standard 802.11g, 54Mb/s wireless equipment.
      Indoor signal range up to 150 metres and outdoor signal range up to 450 metres. (subject to walls and barriers between the computer and the Sky Broadband box )."

On receipt of the Sagem router I have queried the transfer rate.

This is what they now say:

Direct quote:
      "With regards to the wireless speed on the Sagem router, this router only support 54mbps. The information provided previously is outdated, as it refers to our original broadband router".

I store photographs on a network drive and find 54g very slow compared to my Netgear n router.
      Looks like I will have to daisy chain the 2 routers.

Sorry for the long post but is this right that they have down graded their specifications.

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: 54g Sagem Router

I'd be surprised if you actually notice any difference attributable to wireless as the specs seldom bear any relation to reality.

Probably worth investigating reception and interference issues (raise router above furniture level, change channels).

Failing that, I would tackle Sky -- the Netgear DG834GT they formerly supplied claims to deliver 108 and I'm sure they would be happy to get rid of one of the old ones.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fihart View Post
      I'd be surprised if you actually notice any difference attributable to wireless as the specs seldom bear any relation to reality.

Probably worth investigating reception and interference issues (raise router above furniture level, change channels).

Failing that, I would tackle Sky -- the Netgear DG834GT they formerly supplied claims to deliver 108 and I'm sure they would be happy to get rid of one of the old ones.
      Thanks for your reply.
      There is a very noticeable difference in transfer rates from a crawl with the Sagem to very acceptable transfer rates with my non Sky Netgear.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Yeah but are both routers setup the same? Are they on the same channel etc?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSky View Post
      Yeah but are both routers setup the same? Are they on the same channel etc?
      Yes but the Sky is rated at 54Mb/s while the Netgear is 270Mb/s

I get the maximum 54Mb/s from the Sagem and around 130Mb/s from the Netgear.

I am not saying the Sagem is under performing just that Sky said they supplied 108Mb/s routers now the say they are 54Mb/s which the Sagem is.
      Why have they downgraded the Specification?

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fihart View Post
      They would send out a like-for-like swap out unless they are out of the supplied router at the despatch group, when this happens you may get a different router sent to you. The router is supplied to allow wireless connectivity to the internet, this is running at a max of around 16Mb so a 54Mb rated router is sufficient for purpose.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSky View Post
      They would send out a like-for-like swap out unless they are out of the supplied router at the despatch group, when this happens you may get a different router sent to you. The router is supplied to allow wireless connectivity to the internet, this is running at a max of around 16Mb so a 54Mb rated router is sufficient for purpose.
      Yes it is fine for internet access but not for file transfers to & from my network drives and this is why I had asked Sky the router specs. before I joined and they stated in writing that the router would be capable of 108Mb/s.

I will daisy chain both routers and switch off the wireless on the Sagem using the Sagem as a modem only, but I do feel somewhat let down by Sky.

indefatigable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BB tech Support + Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB
      Thanks

it may sound harsh, but Skys priority is internet access, not network transfers.

Yes, they sent you out-dated information. Yes, the systems need updated to show the real values. But this was a simple mistake, and you are blowing it out of proportion.

You have another router already. You even state that you are going to connect it to the Sky router so that you can use the wireless on that instead. And you also state that the wireless on your other router is over 2.5 times faster than what you were told about the sky router, so why would you be willing to go down to 108mbps if you already had a 270mbps access point. You would see a massive drop in performance either way.

Thanks

Blimey who got out the wrong side of the bed. No it is not a big deal I just wondered why they would reduce the spec?

In my original post I said:

"Sorry for the long post but is this right that they have downgraded their specifications".

Which if you read my posts is all I have ever asked.

108Mb/s versus 130 Mb/s as I stated I receive, not a massive hit which I accepted from their written specification to me when I asked for their router specs.

Man goes into Ford Dealer and buys a Focus 2 litre car. The Dealer delivers the car and the customer discovers it is 1.6litres. The customer questions the Dealer who replies sorry it is a mistake but we only have to provide cars to get you from A to B.

TCat giving up and signing out