Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

sky router won't give my pc an ip address

This is a discussion on sky router won't give my pc an ip address within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi when I try to log on to the internet wirelessly from my laptop, the connection to the router seems ...

matt_39 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

sky router won't give my pc an ip address

Hi

when I try to log on to the internet wirelessly from my laptop, the connection to the router seems fine but I can't access the internet. I ran ipconfig and everything (DNS, default gateway, subnet mask and ip) was either blank or set to 0.0.0.0.

I've tried setting the TCP/IP details to the addresses I found by logging into the router through my flatmate's laptop (mine is the only one with a problem) but i still get the perennial message 'acquiring network address'. Repairing the connection with windows does nothing either.

I have tried to connect through two different wireless network adaptors to no avail but, weirdly, when I connect to the router via ethernet it works without complaint. Unfortunately I don't have a long enough ethernet cable and I dont want to sit in the hall!

Any idea what I can do to fix this?

thanks

2. Advertisement
      dtr44 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: halfway wshal
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Re: sky router won't give my pc an ip address

hi mate had similar problem with xp [might be diffrent for vista
      go into services = run > services.msc
      brings up a screenie look down the list and you will see DHCP CLIENT make sure it is automatic on you settings , also DNS client is on automatic if it isnt change them ,if it is then try run> ipconfig/flushdns hopefully it will get you back on . i had disabled dhcp and dns because i took advice from a website which said they could be disabled how silly am i

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

When you say it connects to the router fine, what do you mean? Can you enter the Router configuration pages by typing, http://192.168.0.1 in the address bar? If you can you must be getting an IP address. As you say you are not, it seems you are not connecting to the router.

Assuming you are running XP, go to Control Panel>Network Connections and open them. Right click on the icon for your wireless adapter and select Properties. Highlight Internet Protocol TCP/IP and click Properties. In the next page that comes up 'Obtain an IP address automatically' should be selected. If it is not, select it close out, reboot and try a connection.
      If 'Obtain an IP....' is selected, select 'Use this IP Address' and type in the following.
      IP address........192.168.0.100
      Subnet............255.255.255.0
      Gateway..........192,168.0.1

Preferred DNS server- 208.67.222.222
      Secondary DNS Server- 208.67.220.220

Close out reboot and try to connect.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dtr44 View Post
      hi mate had similar problem with xp [might be diffrent for vista
      go into services = run > services.msc
      brings up a screenie look down the list and you will see DHCP CLIENT make sure it is automatic on you settings , also DNS client is on automatic if it isnt change them ,if it is then try run> ipconfig/flushdns hopefully it will get you back on . i had disabled dhcp and dns because i took advice from a website which said they could be disabled how silly am i
      i'm running xp too. i'm typing this on my flatmate's vista laptop.

just checked dhcp and dns, both are automatic. ran ipconfig/flushdns - successfully flushed the dns resolver cache but still no connection...

any other ideas?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      When you say it connects to the router fine, what do you mean? Can you enter the Router configuration pages by typing, http://192.168.0.1 in the address bar? If you can you must be getting an IP address. As you say you are not, it seems you are not connecting to the router.

Assuming you are running XP, go to Control Panel>Network Connections and open them. Right click on the icon for your wireless adapter and select Properties. Highlight Internet Protocol TCP/IP and click Properties. In the next page that comes up 'Obtain an IP address automatically' should be selected. If it is not, select it close out, reboot and try a connection.
      If 'Obtain an IP....' is selected, select 'Use this IP Address' and type in the following.
      IP address........192.168.0.100
      Subnet............255.255.255.0
      Gateway..........192,168.0.1

Preferred DNS server- 208.67.222.222
      Secondary DNS Server- 208.67.220.220

Close out reboot and try to connect.
      i ran a diagnostic program which i thought told me i was connected to an access point, but i must have misunderstood it because no, i can't log into the router.

i set the connection properties to those you suggested: i'm now getting a connection but its not at all stable, it fluctuates between connected and not connected every few seconds. when i run ipconfig it still comes up blank and firefox can't connect to the internet.

any ideas?

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Tried changing the channel?

Thanks

it fluctuates between connected and not connected every few seconds
      This suggests a security problem. Can you go into the router settings, using ethernet or even your friends PC, go to the wireless settings and select the Disable button under Security, then try to connect.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

PaulSky, what do you mean by changing the channel?

Isitme, do you mean 'syslog'? Thats the only disable button I can find on the security pages and its already set to disable.

Thanks

Click the link for Wireless Settings, it is at the top of the list on the left, under Settings. In the Wireless Setting page, under 'Security' click the Disable button.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Click the link for Wireless Settings, it is at the top of the list on the left, under Settings. In the Wireless Setting page, under 'Security' click the Disable button.
      Fixed! Thanks very much. I don't like to leave the network unsecured though, can you suggest how I might set up the security so that I don't have a repeat of this problem?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast