Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Does the new firmware for DG934G support WPA2?

This is a discussion on Does the new firmware for DG934G support WPA2? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Researchers find more flaws in wireless security JPL...

JPL
      JPL is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Brookwood
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Question Does the new firmware for DG934G support WPA2?

JPL

2. Advertisement
      AlexS is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Draytek Vigor 130 + Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Does the new firmware for DG934G support WPA2?

No, it doesn't appear to support WPA2. Just WEP & WPA-PSK like the original firmware.
      I doubt domestic wireless access points would be a target for serious hackers, especially when there are many business wireless networks with default WEP or no security at all
      I'm sure you could pick up a wireless access point that supports WPA2 on Ebay for a few quid if you're that concerned...

Ratcliffes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

There is no option for WPA2 that I can see which I assume means no.
      Bizarre given the recent news that WPA has been cracked. The equivalent Netgear product will support WPA2 no problem so I assume it cannot be down to the chipset (at least in the Netgear v2 router. No experience of Sagem et al).

There are plenty of wireless NICs which don't support WPA2 so perhaps Sky didn't want the hassle of having a deluge of support calls asking why the encryption doesn't work on an older computer.

This is the kind of decision which gets made when a company assumes its customers are too dim to deal with it.

Perhaps it closes the door for sky to terminate the contract of anyone who insists on using their own equipment? Anyone want to try to use it to get their username and password officially?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ratcliffes View Post
      There is no option for WPA2 that I can see which I assume means no.
      Bizarre given the recent news that WPA has been cracked. The equivalent Netgear product will support WPA2 no problem so I assume it cannot be down to the chipset (at least in the Netgear v2 router. No experience of Sagem et al).

There are plenty of wireless NICs which don't support WPA2 so perhaps Sky didn't want the hassle of having a deluge of support calls asking why the encryption doesn't work on an older computer.

This is the kind of decision which gets made when a company assumes its customers are too dim to deal with it.

Perhaps it closes the door for sky to terminate the contract of anyone who insists on using their own equipment? Anyone want to try to use it to get their username and password officially?
      As other posters on this forum have previously pointed out, the Sky routers are configured to satisfy the majority of Broadband users needs. This includes wireless range,speed and security. I was disappointed with the wireless range of the DG934G, so I've simply disabled the internal wireless and connected a Netgear WPN824 wireless cable router I got cheap 2nd hand instead. I now get better range,speed and with a firmware update WPA2 encription. As technology progresses and WPA2,N-Type MIMO & dual band wireless standards become the norm, Sky will probably start issuing a V3 router with these features as standard...

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Alex - I don't disagree with you. I do the same thing with a netgear Wireless access point in place of the built in wireless of the DG 934G but the point I wish to make is that the official netgear firmware for the DG834g (on which the Sky DG934 is based in terms of hardware) is capable of supporting WPA2 and I was expecting that Sky would have used the opportunity of a firmware upgrade to bring the wireless security up to scratch.

I appreciate that many Sky BB users wouldn't know WPA from a slap in the face with a wet kipper but it doesn't mean that none of us get it.

Having said that, the recent firmware upgrade has turned my Netgear dg934 from a device which would disconnect every evening at least once into one which at least allows a rock solid connection. I haven't had a disconnect since the upgrade occurred some 120 hours ago.

I guess I should be thankful for small mercies!

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ratcliffes View Post
      I guess I should be thankful for small mercies!
      Indeed ! The last firmware update for the Netgear DG834Gv3 which should have the stability patch was back in March. Sky release a firmware with this patch now. Considering how recent the security issues with WPA have been reported, I don't expect a firmware update to allow WPA2 from Sky before next Summer...
      Sky may decide to issue a V3 router with N-type networking by then anyway.
      Unless users are happy to break Sky's T&C's and use a router of their choice, adding a wireless access point with the desired features like you and I have done seems the only option.
      "Fun" this networking lark isn't it ?

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

i personally think you're reading FAR too much into this - it's only just been said it can be done...no one's done it yet and the hack code hasn't been released so there's very little need to worry just yet...

and even if it does get out - yet ANOTHER reason not to use wireless......
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

@IANTE
      I agree that wireless is the devil's work but apparently proof of concept code is in the wild already and if you believe SANS and other luminaries it is fast being incorporated into the most common WEP cracker software: Aircrack-ng. See http://news.zdnet.co.uk/security/0,1...413,00.htm?r=1

Since this is not a dictionary crack, it only takes 15 minutes to do on ordinary hardware and today's research paper is tomorrow's common practice.

The point is simply that Sky could have included WPA2 into last week's firmware upgrade but presumably positively decided not to for some bizarre reason. If the next firmware tweak is another 9-12 months away then things will have moved on too far by then. As Alex has pointed out Netgear had to include WPA2 from last march but they have to do it to sell routers - Sky don't.

I'm not paranoid enough (I used to be paranoid but now I know they are all out to get me - Where is my tin foil hat!) to think there will be a script kiddie in my driveway right now priming his laptop but if you know why Sky decided not to bother implementing the encryption which is already in Netgear's firmware for the same device, personally I'd love to understand the decision.
      Last edited by Ratcliffes; 10-11-08 at 07:31 PM.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

tbh i think they'll just wait til the V3 router (assuming one comes out) and prob then go draft N and WPA2 in one go...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

fishouttawater is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

(sorry to bring up an old thread, but...)

As someone working in the Information Security field, it amazes me that Sky is still deploying these routers (I got mine this week), fully capable of wpa2, with a firmware that doesn't support it. I'd even settle for Original WPA if they supported AES, but it borders on negligence to continue this so many months after TKIP has been cracked.

I guess I'll be hooking up the trusty old Linksys with it's DD-WRT firmware. One more plugged in gadget to explain to the wife.

Shame on you Sky...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast