Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Router stops allowing services

This is a discussion on Router stops allowing services within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, im currently using the Netgear DG843GT wireless router with Firmware Version 1.03.87. So, my problems are when using the ...

VsUK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01709
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Media 50mb
      Router: Virgin Superhub
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Router stops allowing services

Hi, im currently using the Netgear DG843GT wireless router with Firmware Version 1.03.87.

So, my problems are when using the internet & services, some suddenly stop responding or working, for example I run a TeamSpeak server on one pc connected wireless as are all pc’s in my home. All works fine connecting via la IP until it suddenly stops working. The Server host pc connected to the net fine & so forth but nothing can connect to it regardless. The only way to fix it was to turn of the power to the router & back on again.

Then there is 1 pc randomly gets cut off from the net with limited or No Internet Detected Icon on the network connection & again, nothing I do fix’s it except router power off/on. This is starting to get very annoying as I have a pc on 24/7 running network services & hosting things to wake up one morning to find its done it again & programs or devices have crashed due to this.

I used to have a internet drop out for a while but I believe sky have minimised that problem down to once every few weeks now. I am also not very happy to find out I am stuck with whatever router sky provide with me as I have used my old Linksys router that works fantastic for a week until I start to lose internet connections every few hours & found out it was because I wasn’t using sky’s router with there firmware.

Can anyone give info on this as im getting very annoyed with sky & there hardware they provide with broadband. I presume I have the most up to date firmware & find no other reason why my router would stop allowing these services to continue like they have been for a week or so to just suddenly stop.

thanks

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Router stops allowing services

I start to lose internet connections every few hours & found out it was because I wasn’t using sky’s router with there firmware.
      I doubt it. No one else has reported this happening. It is possible that the following T & C is kicking in, but I doubt that to. It is more likely you are running out of bandwidth.
      (h) To protect our network and maintain quality of service for all our users we can temporarily or permanently control or restrict your online activities via Sky Broadband where such activities may have a detrimental effect on other customers’ quality of service and it is reasonable for us to do so (e.g. sending “spam” Messages (see Condition 4(b)) or hosting a website).

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

But my service dosnt really connect to the net, its 100% lan & as for bandwidth im on a unlimited upto 16mb service & from previous phone calls they never mentioned it was due to been limited.

we can temporarily or permanently control or restrict your online activities via Sky Broadband where such activities may have a detrimental effect on other customers’ quality of service and it is reasonable for us to do so (e.g. sending “spam” Messages (see Condition 4(b)) or hosting a website).
      But, i dont host a website for people to view on WAN, i can disconnect my adsl lead from my phone point & still be able to use the services i do, the problem is, my router just stops allowing these from working at random times.

Also, i dont believe sky can prevent my wireless adapter from connecting to my router some how. Secondly, if sky do limit my speed or internet activity then i will go else where for my service without hesitation.

Thanks

for example I run a TeamSpeak server on one pc
      The Server host pc connected to the net fine
      Sorry, these led me to think you as you were running a server, there was a website involved.
      If wireless connection is your problem, then I can only suggest you try changing the router Channel. There may be a new network near you which is causing problems.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Yeah sorry, i should of explained in more detail. I run teamspeak server for lan only, no external connections. theres 4 pc's connected via wireless & each pc communicates with each other & teamspeak for wow gaming & other things. However i could connect to teamspeak fine 1 day, the next is as if its not even running on the pc running the server. Only a router reboot fix's this as with the limited or no connectivity issue's which cant even access the router from that pc when it happens also.

As for router channels, i always make sure there on there own channel, but its getting pretty crowded around here, so far on odd days theres up to 9 other wireless within my range & i dont know if there is anything i can do to stop people using same channel as i do or make sure my connection is not conflicting because of someone else.

Thanks

The proliferation of wireless networks is a problem and unfortunately it will only get worse. Using an N class router may help, but there is no guarantee. A better solution would be to set yourself up with a Homeplug network, it is faster and more secure than wireless. It is far superior to wireless for gaming and transferring large files. Wireless outputs are available which are convenient for Laptops.

Have you tried Channel 13 on your router? It is often the only free channel, as many don't know it can be used, believing US based information which recommends 1.6 and 11. These are the only ones available in USA.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

ye, i read about the home plug thing, however its just to expensive at the moment. I would change my router but im not 100% sure it will continue to connect to the web like my last attempt refused to connect after a few days use.

FelixTCat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Tilehurst
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

You could investigate the costs of using an 80211A wireless system. This uses a different frequency band and there is not likely to be much contention. Most laptops less than 2 years old will have an adapter which can use this.