Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

filtered master socket.

This is a discussion on filtered master socket. within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; If you replace the filters with a filtered mastersocket can you use the phone in other rooms without a filter.I.E ...

mickeyb is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: leicester central
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

filtered master socket.

If you replace the filters with a filtered mastersocket can you use the phone in other rooms without a filter.I.E plug straight into the wall.

2. Advertisement
      mickeyb is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: leicester central
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

To be clear, does replaceing the microfilter with a filtered masterface plate mean you can take out the microfilters in other rooms?

youravinalarrrf is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: MYBD
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Yes - no filters required in other rooms for phone use.

pady is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by mickeyb View Post
      To be clear, does replaceing the microfilter with a filtered masterface plate mean you can take out the microfilters in other rooms?
      this is what i have done in my house - it is very easy to do and saves having loads of microfilters lying around the house. Especially if you plan to add further phone points

sh500 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      This is what I have had for the last 5-6 years now. I had BT broadband when it first came out, where an 'engineer onsite install' was the only option. I've got an RJ-45 cable running from the master ADSL socket to a BT RJ-11 socket then to my router.

Works a treat, no messy adapters required.

garyb is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Peterborough Central
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Hi sh500,
      What are the advantages of using the RJ45 to RJ11 cable over a standard RJ11 cable for ADSL? Is the socket on the modified faceplates RJ45 or RJ11.

Router port RJ11[------------------]RJ45 FacePlate

Cheers
      G

vishal is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kenton Road (LWKROA)
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      the socket on a faceplate is rj45, but a rj11 cable fits perfectly into it.

the advantages of using rj45(cat5e/6) is that the cable is usually much higher quality, and better for longer distances, it doesnt/shouldnt make much of a difference for only a few meters.

sh500 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by garyb View Post
      Hi sh500,
      What are the advantages of using the RJ45 to RJ11 cable over a standard RJ11 cable for ADSL? Is the socket on the modified faceplates RJ45 or RJ11.

Router port RJ11[------------------]RJ45 FacePlate

Cheers
      G

Well the only reason i have a RJ-45 (cat 5) cable is that at the time i was in a position to network my whole house- and i thought id run a [hidden] cable from the filtered socket (front of house) to my room (back of house). The master filtered socket has a RJ-45 socket (and also has a BT phone socket- not being used). The other end of the Cat 5 cable is wired to a RJ-11 socket box.

So there is no obvious advantage of using Cat 5 cabling (apart from hidden cables in my case) - perhaps more shielding. Only the blue and white strands are needed for connection on both ends.

Mr Angry is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Putney, London
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by vishal View Post
      the socket on a faceplate is rj45, but a rj11 cable fits perfectly into it.

the advantages of using rj45(cat5e/6) is that the cable is usually much higher quality, and better for longer distances, it doesnt/shouldnt make much of a difference for only a few meters.
      Vishal - is cat 5e cable readily available ? My router's plugged into a a circa 30m hard wired extension cable (just normal phone line) from the master socket (opposite end of the house). I've just bought a filtered extension socket to go on the end of it but wondering if I should also recable the extension wiring.

I think I have pretty good stats already for my broadband speed 7.7 and noise margin 13/14 but the connection drops every few minutes. Is that likely to be my wiring or would I be wasting my time re-wiring.

vishal is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kenton Road (LWKROA)
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      cat5e is readily available, its the standard for network cable. telephone wire is cat3.

if everything is already wired, i wouldnt bother rewiring, you may only notice a minimal increase.
      i had a extension wired from my master socket (only 10m long) but caused problems, i could only sync at 3mb, on the master socket i got 8mb, meaning the wiring was bad or major interference.
      i ended up putting the router at the master socket and running 1 network cable to a switch in the other room, the way my house is, it was easy to hide the wires.

you should try testing if you havnt already done so, see what results you get from the master socket (snr, speed, attenuation) and the results from the extension, and take it from there.
      Last edited by vishal; 29-09-06 at 04:45 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast