Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Help needed for Netgear DG934G

This is a discussion on Help needed for Netgear DG934G within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hello there i wanted some help with a few things and questions solving if poss. 1. On the DG934G can ...

blade is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Exclamation Help needed for Netgear DG934G

Hello there i wanted some help with a few things and questions solving if poss.

1. On the DG934G can you change the DNS servers to ones of open dns as they are lot more stable or even oranges DNS addresses.

2. Can you telnet into them or have the removed this in the new DG934G routers.

3 Are they any tools you can use to change the SNR margins on the line to get best performance out of line speed.

4. Is there any way to decrease download speeds and increase upload speed as i am wanting to set up a server for a few games i play on but at current upstream of 70Kb/s cant hold more than 4 people.

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s UpTime
      WAN PPPoA 485912 594457 0 34483 64998 02:38:20
      LAN 100M/Full 617059 513775 0 65315 35029 02:46:33
      WLAN 11M/54M 1299 0 0 25 0 02:46:38

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 16379 kbps 765 kbps
      Line Attenuation 28 db 7.5 db
      Noise Margin 8 db 6 db

I am happy with Connection Speed 16379 kbps 765 kbps

just wondering if any way of increasing upload stream so i can hold a better server for gaming.

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Help needed for Netgear DG934G

Until one of the "heavyweights" log on I can tell you that it does support Telnet. Apparently it's similar to a retail Netgear DG834G v3 -- so a visit to netgear.com will find a manual -- which could be useful in answering some of your other questions.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Were you to join SkyBB then you'd not improve on 765kbps as this is the maximum upstream offered by Sky.

Be on the other hand offers upstreams of 1.3mbps and 2.5mbps so I'm rather curious why you're on 765kbps at the moment and therefore why you'd want to move

Or is your Skyuser profile out of date and you've already moved?

If that's the case then to answer your questions:

1. No I don't think you can with the Sky firmware (I don't have that router so may be out of date there). You could however flash the router to the Sky DG834GT firmware or the generic Netgear. Or set each PC to use OpenDNS, bypassing the router.

2. Ditto.

3. Ditto.

4. No.
      Last edited by Saturday; 12-10-08 at 10:43 AM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post

Or is your Skyuser profile out of date and you've already moved?
      I moved from Be broadband last week 7th oct as Be where doing my nut in they couldn't solve the problem of why i was getting 15meg down and only getting 400Kb/s to 600Kb/s max was happening for 3 months on and off and got fed up with the problems i was getting.

They tuck it to high support and they did number of tests they said there is no problems on the line and everything was fine. I also asked why back in 2006 and 2007 i was getting 19meg download and getting close to 1.7MBp/s
      they couldn't give me a strate answer.

In the end i given up with them and ended up going to trading standards as they wouldn't sort the problems out finding that they are in breach of quality of services under some section i went back to BE they wanted me to pay for express cancel which would of cost me 40 cheeky if you ask me or 3 months notice as it was a 3 month notice contract i said i will pay the outstanding off if the express is wavered they agreed now on sky.

Best bit is been on sky now and the funny thing is when i moved over to sky bb they where doing a number of tests and they found out they was some problems on the line That BE didn't seem to find well did find a packet loss and then it went. SKY seemed to of found out what the problem was and sorted it out.

I decided on a final option to move to another isp and see if i got the same problems so far i have and none ones that where there are fixed touch wood i don't get any.

1 thing i can say tho am shocked at the customer services are a lot better and have a better understanding of commutation skills and asking what have i done already to resolve the problem is a good thing to before even having to do any tests is grate they also read the notes on account unlike BE. I guess starting off with be was grate speed everything then it went down hill and i couldn't cope with speed problems and other stuff.

Anyway there's my S.A lol of what went on think i will be staying with sky for a while yet to see whats what
      Last edited by Saturday; 13-10-08 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Trimmed quote down

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Have you asked for your MaxDelays to be reduced yet?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Have you asked for your MaxDelays to be reduced yet?

yes that has been altered to 3ml so i have been told gamer mode sort of speaking as he told me is good in that aspect.

Not noticed any difference.