Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Connected then not!

This is a discussion on Connected then not! within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi All I moved onto SkyBB yesterday after having been with Demon for 13 years (around 6 years on their ...

raynormark is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01977
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Connected then not!

Hi All

I moved onto SkyBB yesterday after having been with Demon for 13 years (around 6 years on their broadband package)

Initially, setup worked fine and I got connected without a problem but this morning when I turn the router on, it doesn't always change the orage internet light to green, it just stays orange - obviously without a connection. I have turned the router on and off a few times and sometimes it works (like at present) and sometimes it doesn't - I have seen it change from on to off (green to orange) and also from orange to green. It can also take around 5 minutes to turn to green.

As you can probably tell from the above, I'm not a technical whizz but do have a basic knowledge of connecting things together.

Having looked through a few threads on this site, could my problem be that sky are testing the line for the first few days so the connection keeps dropping or not starting ?

I am using the Router via the ethernet port into my computer but my understanding is that this is irrelevant if the light on the router is orange (not connected) as the light needs to be green before it even connects to a computer for it to work ?

I always turn off my computer and modem at the mains when not in use - Am I best leaving the sky router turned on at all times ? or shouldn't this matter ?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Connected then not!

Quote Originally Posted by raynormark View Post
      could my problem be that sky are testing the line for the first few days so the connection keeps dropping or not starting ?
      No, that won't be the reason. It sounds like there is a line/wiring/equipment problem. Please post your router stats (see sticky in the router forum) and describe how your router is connected e.g. where the filters are, any extensions, anything else connected.

Am I best leaving the sky router turned on at all times ? or shouldn't this matter ?
      Shouldn't matter.

raynormark is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01977
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Hi

Thanks for the quick response - Appreciated as I'm off to work in just over an hour :-)

Below are my stats - Do these show any problems ?

Thanks again

Mark

Router Statistics

System Up Time: 00:57:24
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 71686 72765 0 2253 31329 00:49:12
      LAN 100M/Full 73219 73541 0 27350 2480 00:57:20
      WLAN 11M/54M 236 0 0 13 0 00:57:07
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7616 kbps 384 kbps
      Line Attenuation 38 db 10.5 db
      Noise Margin 9 db 13 db
      Last edited by Saturday; 25-09-08 at 11:37 AM. Reason: removed IP details etc

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Below are my stats - Do these show any problems ?
      Yes, they show a low sync for your attenuation - i.e. you have line noise but whether it is bad enough to cause the problems you report is hard to say.

As requested earlier, you need to describe your physical setup and when you have the time, you need to run a comparison using your test socket (if you have one). Further info is available in the cabling and faceplate help forum.
      Last edited by Saturday; 25-09-08 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Removed reference to upstream as just noticed on Mid